What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 'scope' and Webley Service air rifle!

johnbaz

Hi all

I've collected airguns for some years now (Current tally is around 136), I agreed to buy a Webley Service mk2 air rifle from a lad on a forum by post, When the gun arrived, He had included an optical device and said it was a telescopic sight for the gun!!..

It has AM (Air Ministry?), A crown and 1942 pressed in to it..

The Service trainer air rifle..

0gir21e.jpg

uFSccNV.jpg

The 'Scope'!!

0rmkq14.jpg

A very poor pic (Sorry!) of the reticule..

yUCdVs6.jpg

Allthough the Webley Service was designed as a military trainer, I'm not sure if it was adopted by the army for use, BSA also made a military trainer based upon a Model D and made to resemble a Lee Enfield, These command high prices now as very few were produced..

Does anyone have any idea what the optical device would have come from?

Cheers, John...

Last edited:
Hi John,I too collect air guns,but not to the extent of your collection,well done,I don't think the sight is anything to do with the air rifle,I am wondering if it has something to do with gun harmonisation,or perhaps similar to a boresight,it will be interesting to find out just what it really is,
Cheers,
Don,

Forgot to say,very nice air rifle there,I am envious,Thanks,
Don,

Thanks Don

I have a Mk1 and a few mk3's, Webley/BSA are my fave guns at least until they became foreign owned companies :s:

kxy8hIf.jpg

My guns can be viewed>>> HERE <<<for anyone that may be interested (Along with my other stuff that the wife moans about!)..

Someone suggested that the optical device could be from an Aldis lamp, I've no idera in reality!!

John:)

I've never seen a scope on a Webley service air rifle,is there an attachment to mount a scope,has any one seen one?
Interested because I have one of these.
Tim.

I've never seen a scope on a Webley service air rifle,is there an attachment to mount a scope,has any one seen one?
Interested because I have one of these.
Tim.

Hi Tim

There's no provision for a scope to be fitted, The lad genuinely thought it was to fit the gun as it was old but in reality, It never had anything to do with an airgun..

John..

Hi John.what a fantastic collection,just about everything a man would want to collect,where on earth do you keep a collection like that,there are some really nice air rifles there,and they are in such good condition too,
Many thanks,
Don,

Hi John.what a fantastic collection,just about everything a man would want to collect,where on earth do you keep a collection like that,there are some really nice air rifles there,and they are in such good condition too,
Many thanks,
Don,
Thanks Don

Since both of my lads moved out, I have the smallest bedroom as my gunroom, It also houses guitars, Steam engines and all sorts of other stuff!. There's quite a few 'Repairs behind the TV in the dining room!

The wife hates the rifles, She says they take up too much room, However, the Webley pistols she loves and plays merry hell up if I say i'm swapping any!! :eek:

The machinery is all in the garage, She draws the line at bringing oily lathes/Grinders/Drills etc in to the house! :(

Cheers, John

Hi John,
you've definitely got the collecting bug,and I thought I had a lot of stuff.
thanks for showing.It sounds like you have an understanding whife like me.
Tim.

Last edited:
Hi John,
you've definitely got the collecting bug,and I thought I had a lot of stuff.
thanks for showing.It sounds like you have an understanding whife like me.
Tim.

Hi Tim

Unfortunately the wife got fed up with being understranding as I was going to buy a PCP from a chap a few miles away but it endfed up with us argueing!!

She thinks I have enough guns!! :dontknow::s:

John :top: