What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange shape on french fuzes

Alpini

Premium Member
I just came across this foto of a french 30-38 mm percussion fuze. For a long time I wondered why the nose screw has such a strange shape?

Attachments

• 30-38perc.jpg
    30-38perc.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 88
apparently in French that middle piece is called 'gorge de rupture', which means something like the bold that ruptures on impact. But that is all I could find out. Most probably our French partners are able to help out more.

Yes, it's the purpose of this feature : on impact, if the fuze is cut, the mechanism stay able to work as expect. Indeed, you can note this "gorge de rupture" is on the level of the external part.

Here, the gorge de rupture on 30-45 Mle 1878/1892 fuze

rupture.JPG

Last edited:
thank you guys, interesting that they kept attention about broken fuzes at this time

Hello,

First fuzes with "Sige et Montagne" system Mle 1878 have been improved in 1881 with a nose plug (with a safer percussion device and a rupture groove).

This device already existed on the 25/38 "Systme Budin" Mle 1875.

Regards.

First 30/38m S et M Mle 1878 (without the breaking device) :

Siege et Montagne 1878.jpg

25/38 Mle 1875 Budin :

25 38 Budin Mle1875.jpg

Hello

pre-WW1 era French fuzes is a interesting topic. Does anyone has details of a initial Saussier or Robin percussion system ?

Best regards

Bernard