What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strong comeback

As many of you know about 2 years I sold off the bulk of mu collection due to real estate tax trouble. Some of the stuff I had I may never be able to replace it again. However I feel that my collection has made a resurgent comeback and getting somewhere near its former glory. TMany thanks in no small part to kind BOCN members, with whom I have been able to make trades, received stuff as gifts and have gotten some bargains on WW1 ordnance. MI collect just about any WW1 ordnance but my main collecting interest is WW1 German grenades and WW1 German artillery fuzes, with relics (the rusty nasty used look) being a favorite also. I will never sell out again because if I could have kept from selling out a few years back I feel my collection would be just short of major. I had an m1917 German egg grenade crate that held 50 eggs, an m1917 German stick grenade crate, and it goes on and on. It was a privalige to have at least had some of that stuff and now I seem to concentrate on stuff I never had, feeling having once owned something I had the privelage of at least posessing it for a perios d of time. Once again thanks to many friends at BOCN who have been kind and helpful in re-building my collection. Peace...Dano

Dano good things happen to good people.
Everyone here at BOCN loves ya.
One of the things I admire about you is that you are a true collector. Not a shopper that can acquire what you want on a whim whatever the cost. You, like most of the rest of us collectors have to work at it. It makes the taste sweeter.

Last edited:
One of the things I admire about you is that you are a true collector. Not a shopper that can acquire what you want on a whim. You, like most of the rest of us collectors have to work at it. It makes the taste sweeter.

Hi Dano... i'll second that my freind, 101%.

Kind Regards Nick,

One of the things I admire about you is that you are a true collector. Not a shopper that can acquire what you want on a whim. You, like most of the rest of us collectors have to work at it. It makes the taste sweeter.

Dano
Congrats on rebuilding your most superb collection of artifacts. Your efforts in acquiring some of the higher end pieces is a credit to the hobby. By the way, the corrugated tin pile is waiting for your next "trench" build.

Jolly Green
A discussion on another forum I frequent lead to similar comments by a couple of posters regarding the value of the true collector vs a lowly shopper, as you intone. While I'm not one of those that can "acquire what you want on a whim", I have had the sweet pleasure of multiple buys of items that could be considered less than collectible but suffice for sweeteners in future trades. While fluffing Dano's pillow and anointing him a TRUE COLLECTOR and not some hagard SHOPPER, I think you do a disservice to those of us who have a broader range of interests and are able to expand our collections via whim purchases. As one of the other forum commenters noted, the best part about whim shoppers is, they have a lot of stuff for sale to true collectors. Without us, many of the items in Dano's and yours and everybody else's collections would be hidden away in Grandpappy's footlocker, never seeing the light of day. WHIM SHOPPERS RULE!

Rick

Good points Rick but guys who'll pay whatever it takes all the time and who are most likely in this for the short term do more to raise and keep prices high than anything else.
I DO concede however that every once in a while, even for the true collector, there comes along a piece that MUST be had, whatever it takes. But not as a common practice. Just my opinion.

I too am guilty of having a broad range of interests as far ordnance collecting goes, not having specialized yet after more than ten years of collecting. If I had to it would mini grenades but thats a different story.

Whim shopping is one thing. Money flinging is quite another. I guess I wasn't clear in my original post and have since amended it.

My most humble apologies to any collectors who feel I've done them a disservice as that was truly NOT my intent.

My post had dual intentions. One was to, as Rick puts it, "fluff Dano's pillow" because I truly admire his perseverance and secondly to put forth my opinion about something thats been on my mind lately.

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to let go of your collection Dano, but I am very happy that you are on a great and fast road to replacing it. In the past I have had to stop collecting myself, but I have found that often times an item that you lost, gets replaced with something better against all odds! I wish you great luck in your quest!

I have to say that while I see where Jolly is coming from, what was said struck a chord with me. In my opinion, a person's ability to purchase multiple or high dollar items doesn't make him any less of a "true collector".

I have purchased 4 or 5 grenades at a time(an easy feat when there are 100+ available from one collector/amasser!) in the past and while some of the items in my collection are quite diverse, they were exactly what I was looking for and not just whatever was available that day.

Of course I am only speaking for myself here, but I am passionate about this hobby and driven to obtain the rarest items I can. I feel privelidged to have the opportunity to be the temporary "guardian" of these historically significant items for future generations and it is this above all that makes me unequivocally a collector, and not a "shopper", despite the fact that I have spent quite a bit assembling my collection.

Last edited:
In all honesty, if I had the money I'd be a shopper too.

Let me convey two instances of the sweetness though.
For YEARS I've wanted an M14 Toe Popper and an AN M-14 Incendiary grenade. I had to pass on the few oppotunities that came along due to cash restraints. Let me tell you they were few and far between. In the past year here come some more chances. Deals were made and two more crown jewels are in my collection. The wait, the hurt of having to pass when maturity dictates that needs overcome wants all came together once these two deals were struck makes these acquisitions sweeter than honey.
Thats the great thing about this affliction of ours. Theres always more out there and the harder you have to work for it the better it is.

Jeez I hate sounding so mature because I really don't feel it. I guess that came in the mail with my AARP card.

Last edited: