What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck PRF 230

shooter1992

Premium Member
I just thought I would ask, but I have a 4.5" Naval projectile which has a stuck PRF inserted. The PRF is sitting about 4mm from being completely seated, but it has seized up unfortunately. I have spoken to a few collectors, who had some good ideas in regards to trying to free it, but I thought I might try on here as well because I am sure this has happened dozens of times before. So what is some ways of freeing the item up?

I have been continually spraying the threads with some WD40 and tried a few other things, but the hardest aspect is trying to get a good grip on it and ultimately get some leverage.

I will try and put up an image tomorrow.

Cheers,
Matthew

A stuck dummy fuze on a couple projo's I have, refuse to budge. A couple times I brought a 90mm inert filled projo down and sprayed it every day for a while, gave her a bunch of whacks with a dead blow, and she refuses to go. I know I could heat it up with my torches but, I never feel safe enough doing that to anything ordnance related items anyways. If you don't care about the "prf" getting damaged I'm sure there's a destructive method of removal. i.e big #$$ pipe wrench. I've elected to leave mine alone. Maybe another member has a much better solution.
SHAKY

Not sure if this is possible with your problem but if you could build a coffer dam of plasticine/clay on the PRF,?,and fill it with ice,allow it to melt then do it again,(and again )then get cloths and tie them round the projo and pour boiling water on and soak the cloths,keep ice topped up and cloths heated,it might shrink/expand parts enough to get them to separate,I have seen it done on gears stuck on shafts and it worked enough to allow WD40 to penetrate deeper and help free the gear,
Hope this helps,
Don,

As to separate the heat from one part to the other ? Brilliant idea ! Will have to try this.
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Still no luck and today I made up a frame which slotted into the two holes on either side of the PRF. High tensile 6mm bolts which slotted in perfectly as well as 8mm all thread fixed in 4 positions. Still no luck and even was giving the RHS a few solid whacks to try and get it started. Honestly this thing does not want to budge. I don't want to heat it as I do not want to ruin the paint job. Any other thoughts?

Attachments

• IMAG3954_zps16e146e2.jpg
    IMAG3954_zps16e146e2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG3956_zpsb9c00475.jpg
    IMAG3956_zpsb9c00475.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG3959_zps15cbe05d.jpg
    IMAG3959_zps15cbe05d.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMAG3961_zps86398d71.jpg
    IMAG3961_zps86398d71.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You could try putting the whole thing in a chest freezer overnight then the use hot soaked cloths round projo body then using a hardwood block to protect metal frame whack it with a 2lb hammer,I am assuming the hot water will not damage the paintwork,just a thought,,,its not left hand thread is it,
Don,