What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SUBSTITUTE FOR CORDITE STRANDS?

starshell

Premium Member
Good evening,

Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating the Cordite strands as seen in an 18Pdr case? Other than Spaghetti, which is obviously too brittle, I'm stumped...

Many thanks in advance.
D

Good evening,

Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating the Cordite strands as seen in an 18Pdr case? Other than Spaghetti, which is obviously too brittle, I'm stumped...

Many thanks in advance.
D
Actually spaghetti is a very good compromise, and has the advantage that if you fall on hard times you can always eat it! Varnishing it helps, but not if you’re planning to eat it!

...do you think i should put some Bolognese sauce in the bottom of the case first.....or on top?
Sprinkle of Parmesan?...

Good evening,

Many thanks in advance.
D
Maybe a synthetic bristle filament would work. There is a company called Widdops in Bradford that it might be worth contacting to see what colour/diameter/material of filament they have available, you could probably get a PVC filament in a suitable cordite colour.

3D printer filament is available cheaply and available in many colours!
I would go for this, if damp got at the spaghetti a food source you would get mould forming. If you were to used spaghetti i would varnish the inside of the case just incase.

If any of you are doing sectioned cases that has black powder granules as the propellant, charcoal granules from face mask filters are a very good subsitute mixed with PVA. What do you guys use for a explosive filling apart from gap filler foam.