What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprised by sale price of an SD2

Looked like it could be filled under the new paint, that would put me off from paying a high price.

Somebody got a real bargain there.
I was at Malvern today, one of the sellers had a really bashed up set of SD 2 wings and an arming wire and was asking 250 for it. Another had a "complete" one for 650 (fair body/fuze and arming wire but broken wings. Dugup currently have one for 450 and JC militaria one for over 900.
Dave.

I too was suprised by the final price of this one, given what we've come to expect from these, though I have to agree with BMG50 about the restoration. I'm not sure it was helped by the fact that there was no image of the wings in the closed position, though I do know who the seller was and his restorations are usually very thorough, so would have no doubts about the quality of restoration, just how much is probably more the issue. The starting price was low enough for everyone to have a go and whoever won it managed to get themselves a nice display piece.

SD2's in excellent condition with original paintwork, like anything else in good condition are going to command high prices. But there is a huge difference between one in excellent condition and one in heavily restored condition. As Dave says demand pushes up the prices, most people only want one as an example within their collection and so a displayable piece is acceptable. Some of the prices at which these are being offered is very high for the condition they are in, however, if a dealer can afford to sit on it, eventually even the highest priced one will sell - perhaps to someone who doesnt know different.

I think again its worth bearing in mind that all these items are worth nothing really, we as collectors dictate prices by buying the stuff, if there were no demand it would all be worthless (apart from scrap value) - so whos really to say what something is worth?, what its worth to me is different to you and vice versa.

regards Kev