What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swedish 10,5 cm M/25 Ubatka

H

Hoeksel

I have a WW2 dated Swedish shell case (105x540R) that is identified as a 10,5 cm M/25 Ubatka. Does anybody what gun this is? I can not find anything in my artillery books or the internet. And what does Ubatka mean?!

Just found a first reference to a Swedish 10,5 cm M/25 in "Naval Weapons of WW2"; a 10,5 cm M/25 L/41 QF was used on the Draken class submarines of the Swedish navy.

Just wondering...Ubatka is related to U-boat?!? Google translate states "submarine" = ubt......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tmine! Nice to see how Swedish looks like a mix of Germenglish with some Dutch ;-). I did some further searching and I think I figured it out by combining some references.

On reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orzeł_class_submarine it is stated that Holland made submarines for Poland (Orzel class) just before WW2, and installed the 10,5 cm M/25 Bofors (the Polish sank 1 of our subs by accident.....). The Dutch themselves installed 8,8 cm Bofors guns on their submarines, so Bofors would be a sensible choice. More info on the armament of both on www.dutchsubmarines.com. My case is dated after 1940 so I can assume it is made by Sweden, for Sweden. The Swedish used the 10,5 cm M/25 on the Draken class submarines.

When looking for information I also found that Sweden had a 10,5 cm L/41 gun on their Arholma class minesweeper (12 pieces). reference http://www.navypedia.org/ships/sweden/sw_ms_arholma.htm. This type of gun is also seen on http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNSweden_41-41_m1936.htm as both a 10,5 cm M/36 for Poland (Orzel class sub again!) and the 10,5 cm M/40 for Swedish Arholma class. So it seems the M/25 was renamed making it so hard to find any info. To finalize my case has a stamp that could well be interpreted as "10,5 cm M/40" meaning it was indeed made for the gun as installed on the Swedish Arholma class minesweeper.

Now that I think I have found the gun used for this case, I am interested in other headstamps for the 105x544R Bofors case.

Also, I still do not know the meaning of the typical Swedish "NJ" fishhook like logo. I have this logo on this case, a 37 mm AT case WW2 and a undated 25 mm Bofors case. I really would like to know the meaning and if it is used post-war or not (to date my 25 mm case).

Pictures from left to right:

- headstamp of my 10,5 cm M/40 Bofors case
- detail of headstamp showing 10,5 cm M/40 and unknown NJ logo
- Swedish 10,5 cm M/40 gun
- my 10,5 cm M/40 shell case
- Polish 10,5 cm M/25 M/36 Bofors deck gun on Orzel class submarine

Attachments

• 10,5 cm M40.jpg
    10,5 cm M40.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 10,5 cm M40 headstamp.jpg
    10,5 cm M40 headstamp.jpg