What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swiss seal-tags, US paralight? , wierd 20mm projectile.

DOODLE

Here for you all, some items I've got laying around for quite a while but don't seem to find any or enough information about them.

First of some Swiss seal-tags from (ammunition, weapons?) crates.
1&2 Does anyone know the compagny Saltech? What kind of weaponary or amunition do they make?
3 This combination I find on the headstamps on the bottom of (swiss 81mm) mortar-tails
4&5 SM ??? Is this a new type and an old type tag? Also from mortars?

tags.jpg

Secondly this light... From the information I found on the internet, it could be a US fluorescent paralight. Possible still radioactive
and not to be carried on person for long periods of time. I even read somewhere that holding it on bare skin for 10hours straight
gives you the annual dose of background-radiation in those 10hours...

But I don't know which type it is and where to place it in the timespan from the early 1930's till the late 1950's.

DSC_0374.jpgDSC_0376.jpgDSC_0373.jpg

And the last one is a wierd old (fake?) 20mm round... I don't know what to think of this one...

DSC_0380.jpg

Thank you guys already for the possible determination, and for the determinations that where made in the past and I would
also like to take this opportunity to appologize for only asking questions and not beeing of any value to this forum.

Yours kindly

Elias

Thanks bob :)

Can anyone give me some information about the seals? (not the animals ofcourse and also not the soldier-kind :D )

/edit: About that radioactive light, a friend of mine found out it's a possible type III made october 1953. (the 10 and 53 on the back...)

Last edited:
Doddle,

Asking questions on the forum is of GREAT value.

That's how we all learn and if people didn't ask questions there wouldn't be much of a forum.

Last edited:
The `paralight` may be an aircraft/vehicle or ship part. We used to have them on aircraft etc as emergency exit/equipment markers.
Once the radiation issue was better known/understood & alternatives were found they became redundant.
Used to have a couple in my escape & evasion kit for reading maps etc!!

Just remembered what we called them in the RAF - BETA lights.
Several had a threaded stud on the back sso they could be attached to handles/pull chords etc.
Your dates are possibly off as I was in from `78 -`92 & they were still on Chinooks & C130`s in 1990 for certain

Thanks for the support bdgreen. ;-)

And Hicky1300, so from what you say they were still using them altough they knew the risks?

And do you still have one from your time served? Or maybe some pictures?