What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T54 Test Shot 90mm Loading

EODGUY

Drawing of an interesting profile on a 90mm Test Shot projectile. I have drawings of similar profiles in 75mm and 120mm, but this was the best one to show. Not the typical AP Shot profile, which is pointed, not the Proof loading which is a cylindrical projectile. Date of the drawing is 1947.

Attachments

• T54 Test shot.jpg
    T54 Test shot.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 71
I haven't downloaded the photo to see when it is dated, but maybe this was an experiment to keep it from bounching off water like the Navy flat nose projectiles. Normally, I would have called it a proof projo.

These test projectiles came in all sizes and shapes it seems. I do not think they equate to Proof loadings, but rather to testing in-flight characteristics. At leastone drawing mentioned the projectile simulated another projectile. Proof loadings generally are pressure test loadings of existing cartridges. None of these designs ever made it to fielding that I know of. Th3 57mm was designated the T31 The 76mm the T-1, the 105mm the T-52 and the 120mm had no "T" number on the drawing. The 280mm is the T161. I have only copied parts of these drawings because the entire drawing is in pretty bad shape.

Attachments

• 57mm Test projectile.jpg
    57mm Test projectile.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 76mm Test shot.jpg
    76mm Test shot.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 105mm Test shot.jpg
    105mm Test shot.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 120mm test shot.jpg
    120mm test shot.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 280mm Test shot.jpg
    280mm Test shot.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 17
The 57mm projo looks like the body of what turned into the HE-T projos that had a few different T numbers. The differences seem to be in the rotating band geometries for the HE-T variations.