What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallboy/Grand Slam

gothica7

Premium Member
Just a thought. I know there was a recent thread on these bombs designed by Barnes Wallis during WW2 but i wonder if there is anything produced today that could do a similar job as an 'earthquake' bomb?

Would there be an aircraft flying that could carry and deliver a 10 ton Grand Slam today?

I know they could be probably be delivered more accurately today but 617 Sqn did a pretty good job with the advanced bombsights of WW2 they had in their day from pretty good heights too. No 9 Sqn were pretty good at delivering Tallboys too.

Andy

For the US its currently the MOAB, weighing in a bit over 20,000lbs. Of course, shortly after the MOAB's debut Russia tested the "Father of all Bombs", reportedly 3-4 times more powerful, but it is unclear if it ever actually went into production.

The MOAB is GPS guided, which allows for very accurate delivery.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/moab.htm

Attachments

• gbu43-grid-fin.jpg
    gbu43-grid-fin.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 105
Hell,

what a beast, what delivers it? A B52?

Andy

Andy according to the link "As with the earlier Daisy Cutter, these huge bombs are dropped out of the rear of the C-130 cargo plane. "

WOW what a thing!!

Dave.

I'm not sure this is comparing like with like? The primary destructive effect of the Grand Slam was from creating a localised 'earthquake' caused by detonating after penetrating deep into the earth. The destructive effect of the MOAB is from a more conventional (albeit massive) blast wave created by a surface detonation.

I'd have said a tactical nuclear 'bunker-busting' bomb was a more lineal descendant of Grand Slam. (Do these actually exist..?)

Cheers,

Mark

PS. Those more knowledgeable are welcome to correct any errors in the above. ;-)

"Tactical" weapons were withdrawn in the early 1990s, following changes in E. Europe and in the US doctrine.

During the first Gulf War, the outer "barrel" of an 8" naval gun, with no linear, was filled with cast TNT and used as a bunker buster. I assume fins and tails were attached and they were terminally guided. It was reported that these were dropped from C130's, still warm from the casting.

There was a clip on a US news program of one of these bombs on a rocket sled (to simulate terminal velocity) fired at a 2 m (?) tick target and the "bomb" cleanly penatrated and contnued across the country side and was described as a "flying telephone pole".

If anyone has or knows were this clip is. I would like to see it again.

22,000 lbs DP Bomb

Yes the Lancasters that dropped these used to go up in the air a very rapid 200 feet plus when it delivered this package.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• 22000 lbs.jpg
    22000 lbs.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 54
The "Deep Throat" Bunker Buster was the slang term for the GBU-28B bombs that were initially made from 8 inch cannon barrels during the first Gulf War. They were filled with Tritonal explosive, since the design purpose of the bomb was deep penetration into concrete bunkers underground, and TNT wasn't stable enough to withstand the impact shock of penetration without detonating.

They were originally dropped by F111 aircraft, and are currently delivered by F111 or F15E aircraft. They are rated to penetrate 100 ft of earth or up to 20 ft. of concrete.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/smart/gbu-28.htm

http://www.ausairpower.net/GBU-28.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkYe8tNZX4"]YouTube- GBU-28 "Bunker Buster" Laser-Guided Bomb[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11vZHrsJWjU&NR=1"]YouTube- GBU-28 Bunker Buster Laser Guided Bomb[/ame]

Attachments

• GBU-28_xxl.jpg
    GBU-28_xxl.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 20
  • gbu-28-19990428-f-2171a-025.jpg
    gbu-28-19990428-f-2171a-025.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 20
  • gbu28_11.jpg
    gbu28_11.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 000-GBU-28-1A.jpg
    000-GBU-28-1A.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 000-GBU-28-2A.jpg
    000-GBU-28-2A.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 000-GBU-28-3A.jpg
    000-GBU-28-3A.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Many Thanks for the clips.

Tritonal is 80% TNT and 20% aluminum powder.

Last edited:
Many Thanks for the clips.

Tritonal is 80% TNT and 20% aluminum powder.

What was the diffence then between what was used during WW2 and now? I believe the explosive used in the Grand Slam/Tallboy was Torpex.
It seemed to do the job ok.

Andy

peregrinvs,
To answer your question, the B61 Mod 11 was specifically developed to penetrate and destroy bunkers. It is the ONLY "recent" US development in the nuclear world that has been fielded, I believe. While not a "tactical" weapon in the sense of "placed" SADMs, artillery fired nuclear projectiles, ground launched missiles, etc. it was certainly "tactical" in its original deployment. Currently, strategies, philosophies and treaties have eliminated the purely tactical weapons.

Andy,

There is usually a lot of analysis involved when deciding on which explosive to use in a complex piece of ordnance. If you watch the YouTube video, you can see that they were originally rushed through development and testing of the BLU-28s in much the same way as the first nukes, in that they only had two explosive loaded ones to send to be used in Iraq. Tritonal has been a surplus item in the U.S., since they have been demilling M117 750Lb. bombs, so it was available immediately for loading, whereas Torpex probably isn't being used at all for current ordnance.

When explosive content is limited, and the biggest explosion possible is the desired outcome, then really powerful available stuff that meets the requirements is used. TNT is very powerful, but the addition of the aluminum powder makes it very violent also, and even more powerful. When TNT is detonated, the chemical equation will show that one of the byproducts is oxygen. The aluminum in the mix utilizes this extra oxygen, producing all the extra energy as it turns to aluminum oxide.

An example of the energy available in powdered aluminum can be seen in the solid rocket boosters on the Space Shuttle. The propellant in these boosters is powdered aluminum and ammonium perchlorate (an oxidizer) held together with a binder. All of that energy comes from the burning (oxidizing) of the aluminum powder.

I recall reading something in the last year or two about a new US very heavy bomb which is specifically intended to penetrate huge thicknesses of earth and concrete to reach deep bunkers. Unfortunately I can remember no details, as it's outside my field of interest.

With regard to Torpex, it was used in U/W ordnance but I believe it became obsolete after the great Port Chicago explosion.
Regards,
John

Hi
(sorry for my English)
I believe the explosive used in the Grand Slam/Tallboy was Torpex.

UK-manufactured bombs (and early US-manufactured) were filled with Torpex. As in other big British bombs, this procedure was a little complicated: the workers first created a 1-in layer of cast TNT around the walls, then loaded Torpex inside this "case". Torpex most popular formula was a mix of 41%TNT, 41% RDX and 18% aluminium.
Later US-made Tallboy-family bombs were filled with Tritonal. It is less sensitive explosive and there was no need to make such protection TNT layer. Also other simplifications were introduced in design.
Torpex is more powerful explosive than Tritonal, but the difference isn't very important, especially if detonate such large amount of explosive as in Tallboy.

The GBU-57A/B is the USAF's big penetrator. It weighs in at 30,000 lb and is dropped by B-2 or B-52 bombers. Boeing received a contract to produce some only a month ago. See: http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/02/hiding-under-steps-is-not-option-gbu.html

a.jpg

Hi
(sorry for my English)
In fact, Tallboy was a little different thing that modern penetrators or WWII AP bombs. AP/Penetrators are very strong and thick-walled. They are designed to destroy target by direct hit. Usually they contained about 20% of explosive (or less). Tallboy was rather strenghten HE/GP bomb than penetrator, only a little stronger than British MC bombs. It contain about 45% of explosive. The original idea of Barnes Wallis was that Tallboy, that near miss his target, buried on impact deeply into the ground, then exploded, creating a strong underground shockwave, "seismic wave", like a small local mini-earthquake. This shockwave could damage the foundations of target (building, bridge, dam etc.) causing the whole structure collapsed. Sometimes it works (Bielefeld viaduct) but AFAIK most targets were destroyed by direct hits.

In the modern era there's no reason for such "earthquake" trick. Today is quite easy to hit any target directly by the guided bombs or missiles.