What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tea Tree Oil - For Seized Parts

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

I had been trying to unscrew the plug on a Type 97 Japanese Grenade. I knew it was RH thread and had two huge pipe wrenches on it but it wouldn't budge.

It was a mechanic mate that told me what he used is such situations was 100% Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia). With some scepticism I tried it and well it worked all right!! What wouldnt budge before with a heap of force and leverage from two pipe wrenches just unscrewed without any trouble after a few weeks soaking in 100% Tea Tree Oil. Im sold on it. The only trouble is that the biggest quantity that it is available in is 50ml bottles. But boy does she work and of course one saves the oil and can keep on reusing it over and over again.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

It is always good to hear about a new tool to add to the tool box for working on the treasure. So what type of a store or business sells Tea Tree Oil?

B'ville

Thanks for the tip. On researching to buy some, I note there are any number of bottled "pure" oils out there. Orange, rosemary, eucalyptus, jojoba(whatever that is), and a few more. Curious if anybody has tried any of these for the abovementioned reason.

Previously, I used the brand name PB Blaster. Works better than others I have used. Downside is, it eats the paint. Gotta be REAL careful on the Jap ord.

I'll try the tea oil and report.

Rick

Sure wish i'd known about this stuff when I was freeing the rusted cap off my m1917 stamped tin igniter. Two weeks in WD40. It got cacked....Dano

just saw some of this at the store and was thinking about getting some. Will this harm any type of finishes or will it shine brass? Just want to be careful before I use it. I guess I could test it first before I use it on any antiques.

Moondoggy,

I doubt that it would shine brass and I wouldn't use it on anything inside the house, let alone antiques! It stinks. Basically tea tree (ti tree) oil is a natural antiseptic and smells like antiseptic too. It has a very distinctive eucalyptus smell very familiar to Australians. Apparently it also has some properties that dissolves muck or verdigris built up on metallic parts such as fuzes.

Regards,

Graeme