What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell me about my 2 PDR please!

exiowans

Good day all!
I bought this about 25+ years ago in a shop in Hastings or St. Leonards and brought it back to the States with me. I did a bit of research at that time, but that was pre-Internet and resources were not easily found. So it has been sitting on a shelf in my family room until recently. Any information is appreciated. I'm fairly certain it's a 40mm, 2 pounder, but beyound that I am pretty much in the dark.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 84
Hi Jeff,

You have a WW I British 2Pr Pom Pom, fitted with a No 121 nose fuze.
Are you sure it is empty ? Not only the case !

Yoda

Jeff,

The case was made by The Gramophone Company of Hayes, Middlesex. This was the UK part of the United States Gramophone Company. Their trademark was HMV -His Master's Voice. Merged with Columbia Records in 1930's to form EMI.

Just below the Broad arrow there is a 'N' this denotes a naval store.

7/16 Date of manufacture - July 1916

12 - most probably the lot number

Just above the '12', there is faint 'C F' this is the case life indicator and shows that the case has had one full (F) charge of Cordite (C) (that's a simplified explanation of the C).

Regards

TimG

I am fairly certain that the entire ordnance is inert, but now have access locally to some experts and will have it rechecked. Thanks again!

Jeff

So much great info on the headstamp markings! Thank you, thank you thank you! There is a KSD or HSD on the percussion pin as well as what appears to be a No. 5.1. or No. 51. Probably not pertinent information, but just curious if you have any knowledge!

Jeff,

It is a Primer, No 5, Mk 1. I think it is actually RSD - which I'm not able to identify. If there are any other markings, on the fuze and shell body I might be able to shed some light on them.

Regards

Tim

There are several. I will make some notes and try for some better pics. Thanks again for all the information!

Jeff