What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tester Fuse for Testing Continuity on Pyrotechnic Ignition Fuses

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,

Can anyone tell me more about this device?

The box is 7.5" long by 3.5" wide and 4" high.

The brass plate on top is marked with a government arrow and then "TESTER FUSE FOR TESTING CONTINUITY IN PYROTECHNIC IGNITION FUSES. REF No. 5G. / 1142, SERIAL No. BEM294"

Thanks in anticipation...

Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hallo Gary,
I have never seen this device before, but all is well explained on the box. It is a continuity testing device for electric firing circuits, similar to an ohmmeter. This one seems to be specially adapted to pyrotechnic ignition fuses. Newer models use a battery, but this device produces the electric-test-current by dynamo. The electric current delivered by such a testing device must stay below a certain treshhold, so as not to ignite the electric fuse, so these devices are always made for a certain type of fuse. I can not see it in the foto, but these devices used to work with a glowtube as an optical signal for continuity. Judging by its size and technology I would place this in the very late 19th or most probably the early 20th century.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

An educated guess - going by the Stores Reference Number. - An R.A.F. item.

TimG

Hi,
Thanks for the information.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does this mean it was used by the RAF for testing pyrotechnic Bomb fuses?
If so, what type of Bomb used this type of pyrotechnic fuse?
And was testing carried out at the factory, as part of routine maintenance, or in preparation for a mission?
Thanks again for your help.
Gary

This being an air force item does not imply that it was used for bombs. I read this as meaning an electric fuse to ignite pyrotechnics in general. There were a lot of different pyrotechnic stores used by the air force. There may even have been 1 model electric igniter that could have been used to ignite many different stores. An early RAF munitions handbook may give the answer.
Bellifortis.
Hi,
Thanks for the information.
Sorry for my ignorance, but does this mean it was used by the RAF for testing pyrotechnic Bomb fuses?
If so, what type of Bomb used this type of pyrotechnic fuse?
And was testing carried out at the factory, as part of routine maintenance, or in preparation for a mission?
Thanks again for your help.
Gary