What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bombatorium

Jeff could you post the case lengths of these please.
I think it says 45 x 305 on the French one, could you measure the other.
Thanks.
Dave
Using my trusty calipers I got 307mm, so 305 may well be the official length.

Here are the rest of the mid-small calibers, I'll try and upload the 20mm tomorrow. I've got some of the larger stuff in this one, some of the mortars, a couple of the drill rounds. Lot of drill rounds in this group of stuff, but some interesting ones.

IMG_2340.jpgIMG_2342.jpgIMG_2341.jpgIMG_2346.jpgIMG_2347.jpgIMG_2348.jpgIMG_2349.jpgIMG_2350.jpgIMG_2352.jpgIMG_2353.jpgIMG_2355.jpgIMG_2371.jpg

Looks like a metric-butt-ton of 30mm stuff. Nice Davey Crockett stuff too!

Looks like a metric-butt-ton of 30mm stuff. Nice Davey Crockett stuff too!

Probably closer than you think. We were very fortunate at our stop before SLICS, the gentleman was a long time collector that is having health issues and wanted to move a lot of stuff. The prices for many of the items were too good to resist, and I may have over indulged. We were driving a small van and it was literally bottoming out on dips on the highway, an 8+ hour drive back east towards SLICS. Once there we were concerned that a box of .22 ammo could be the straw that broke the camel's back, and we were scouring the show for anyone from MI that could haul any amount back for me. Got lucky and found a good friend that had brought his truck and was going home empty, we were able to transfer over a thousand pounds and start all over again fresh for SLICS. We had another load by the end of the show, but not quite as bad.

Probably closer than you think. We were very fortunate at our stop before SLICS, the gentleman was a long time collector that is having health issues and wanted to move a lot of stuff. The prices for many of the items were too good to resist, and I may have over indulged. We were driving a small van and it was literally bottoming out on dips on the highway, an 8+ hour drive back east towards SLICS. Once there we were concerned that a box of .22 ammo could be the straw that broke the camel's back, and we were scouring the show for anyone from MI that could haul any amount back for me. Got lucky and found a good friend that had brought his truck and was going home empty, we were able to transfer over a thousand pounds and start all over again fresh for SLICS. We had another load by the end of the show, but not quite as bad.

I "ONLY" bought about 40lbs of stuff at SLICS.

On that note, here's the next load of pics -

IMG_2356.jpgIMG_2357.jpgIMG_2358.jpgIMG_2359.jpgIMG_2360.jpgIMG_2361.jpgIMG_2354.jpgIMG_2362.jpgIMG_2363.jpgIMG_2364.jpgIMG_2365.jpg

HE round for the Sheridan tank. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M551_Sheridan

Here are my examples, center row. Included are some of the HEAT TP rounds, the full up HEAT, a proof round, my old HE (this is an upgrade) and on the floor to the right is my drill for the MGM-51 Shillelagh. Sorry, no full up missile (yet). The old HE round has already been requested in a trade for the new ordnance museum in St. Louis.

DSC_6093.jpg

You probably know this, but photo 6, rounds 3 and 4, Hungarian short belted solothurn are base fuzed HE. If in a crimped case are usually live.

I spy your sweet APFSDS tank rounds on that shelf! Some sweet examples, some new to me. Its cool seeing the 152mm experimental proof round. I have the APFSDS sub-projectile to that round without its sabot assembly. Neat to see yours.

Jason

You probably know this, but photo 6, rounds 3 and 4, Hungarian short belted solothurn are base fuzed HE. If in a crimped case are usually live.

Correct. I've been shown one reference that puts them under the .25oz (7 gm) limit, but I'm not certain I trust the reference. If I cannot find a fully reliable document they will be turned over for destruction. Under the limit or not, I generally try to avoid or limit the number of rounds.

Been out of touch for a while, ended up on a FEMA deployment in the Houston area for what felt like forever. Back for nearly a week now, and trying to make up for lost time. Picked up this lot on Monday, includes some junk, but some very nice pieces as well. The small arms includes a handful of 14.5, some 12.7, a Boys or two and some various 30s dated 50 cal. Also got the Jap 20mm with the wooden bullet and a 20 Becker. Good to be back. Does anyone know what the metal box is from? Nomenclature says: Model of 1916, S&B 1918.

View attachment 137926View attachment 137927View attachment 137928View attachment 137929

Hi Jeff what's the red Beno grenade in the first picture.... Thanks Dave

Hi Jeff what's the red Beno grenade in the first picture.... Thanks Dave

It's a T-13 Beano, but why it was done as a desktop piece I don't know. Looks factory, but it would be hard to say. I was offered a bunch of miscellaneous ordnance, someone had bought it and a bunch of ammunition from a widow, her husband used to own a gun store and kept it as sort of knick-knacks. They have always been scarce, but that is the first one I had a chance at in many years.

Let me know what you confirm. Those things pop up all the time.

Will do - does anyone have a pub on the Hungarian 20's? On this trip I made an effort to look for 20mm-30mm as I am very weak in them, the publications as well. To my knowledge there are no good comprehensive books on 20mm, it seems a real pain in the ass to research. I hunted at SLICS and bought everything I could find, factory flyers, company ordnance catalogs, tech manuals on the guns, WWII intell documents - but all of that that covers so little - it's a tough area to do well, and so much of what you find it live as Hazord mentions. Here in the US you can have a small amount of explosive or incendiary fill in a projectile (nothing else), but with few exceptions most 20mm are over the threshold. I was shown a document which listed the Hungarian as being under the amount, but it was not a tech manual and I won't risk keeping them unless I can find something better.

When I bought this group we went through the ammunition to check that nothing was outside of regulation, but there can always be questions or mistakes, especially with travel, lack of sleep, rushing to see so many bullets in so little time etc. The first step once we get home is that everything goes in a corner until it is cleaned, photographed and confirmed as empty. In this load we found 3 ea 20mm that were missed on the first check and will turned over and headed to the range soon.

If anyone has either a document on the Hungarian 20mm from photo 6 in the 20mm group above, or a recommendation on some good 20mm references I would appreciate it.

As I mentioned, there were a bunch of drill rounds in this haul. The most interesting for me was this unusual piece, I never knew it existed. This is a drill round for the 4.7-inch 120mm separate-loading anti-aircraft round. The rotating band on the projo is milled down smooth with the body, and the case thickness on the cartridge case is about a cm. The case weighs about 40lbs by itself. The fuze has a unique Dummy M-number, off the top of my head I think it is M79.

IMG_2366.jpgIMG_2367.jpgIMG_2368.jpgIMG_2369.jpg

A few more items, a 120mm WP, needs a bit of TLC and cleaning, a 2.95 with a kind of cool fuze, a 105mm ICM round and some small arms boxes. The national Match box was kind of neat with the overstamp on the back.

DSC_6408.jpgDSC_6418.jpgDSC_6420.jpgDSC_6419.jpgDSC_6421.jpgIMG_2385.jpgIMG_2386.jpgIMG_2387.jpgIMG_2380.jpgIMG_2381.jpgDSC_6404.jpgDSC_6405.jpgIMG_2388.jpgIMG_2389.jpg

Info for fuze on 2.95 inch: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/70149-Sweets-Double-Action-Safety-Fuse-(Fuze)

What is the 105mm ICM round?

Brian

Thanks for the info. In regard to the projectile, I'm not certain. No stamped markings that I've been able to find yet, and not enough time to give it a really close inspection. The inside of the round for the Rook submunitions is also fluted, but a different number of grooves and it is a different length. I've got to set aside some time and do some digging -