What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The First British 1 Pr Projectile ----- My Theory

Gspragge

Premium Member
This is My Theory, thin at one end, thick in the middle and thin at the other end ~

I would like to see another M marked 1 Pr. Any arguments for or against this will be welcome, being wrong is half the battle.

The converted Hotchkiss's appear to have been sold off and painted and sold as souvenirs. The M marked 1 Pr, was also surplus and
was sold as a candle stick souvenir with a design registration circa 1900.

Attachments

• Hotchkiss Conversion Discussion.jpg
    Hotchkiss Conversion Discussion.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the dating? Where are the examples that you show? Have you poked around the West Point Collections at all?

Interesting.

No idea about West Point for this subject. Two converted Hotchkiss are in my collection, well almost as I have to pick them up and I'm working from images. One more is in the UK and I have heard of others. The early M marked 1 Pr. is here and I have not heard of any others yet. The dating of these should be around 1888-1890 when Maxim first started to work on the 1 Pr. If they obtained casings with the Hotchkiss projectiles then the first type used might be the standard Hotchkiss Paris case.

Attachments

• 1Pr PD Markings.jpg
    1Pr PD Markings.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 1pdr.Candlestick.jpg
    1pdr.Candlestick.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 43
sir;
What is the object you call a candlestick? It appears to be of larger diameter than the shell.
Regards,
John aka Bart

Maxim Maxim/Nordenfelt firing range etc ?

The top of the projectile unscrews and is a candle stick top made to fit the threads of the projectile. The design was registered and the registration number is stamped on the bottom of the lower band and is in the group of numbers issued around 1900.

It is also quite possible that the souvenir modified Hotchkiss projectiles I have shown have had the threads drilled out for much the same purpose. That is,post Maxim they were modified for the souvenir market. It may be very very difficult to find one of these modified Hotchkiss projectiles intact but I have heard rumours of one.

I think it is unlikely that these modified Hotchkiss projectiles were used beyond internal testing and development of the Maxim 1 Pr. ( If my premise is correct). I imagine they were replaced as quickly as possible by the M marked 1 Pr. These would have gotten used up, most I think by demonstration firing as there were few sales before the Maxim Nordenfelt Co was in existence for some years. If the range where these were demonstrated was still in existence there might be a good chance to find enough remains to verify all of this.
Does any one know if this test firing area still is intact and were it is ?

Attachments

• IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5