What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The First Round

peregrinvs

A question that I have wondered about for a while...

I believe the first artillery round fired by the British army in WWI was a 13 Pounder shrapnel round, fired at Bray in Belgium on 22 August 1914.

Does anyone know, or would like to take an informed guess, as to the Mark of the fuze, shell and cartridge case comprising that round?

Thanks. So that suggests a MkI No.80 fuze and a MkI cartridge case. What Marks of 13PR shrapnel shell were there prior to WWI?

I don't know if this would be of any help I have copied this from one of the old Armourer mags written by John Carlin. you might have to copy them and enlarge them to read them.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• page 1.jpg
    page 1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 42
  • page 2.jpg
    page 2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 35
  • page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 38
  • page4.jpg
    page4.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for that. Interesting reading. Could you let me know the issue number that article appeared in? There’s a good chance I have a copy somewhere.

Thanks for that. Interesting reading. Could you let me know the issue number that article appeared in? There’s a good chance I have a copy somewhere.

Your welcome, unfortunately I had a clear out last year and only kept what pages I needed as they were taken a lot of space up, but it was an early Issue one.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
My guess would be they were using up early production stocks from stores.

Unlikely. The reason I say that is that, generally, newer ammunition is more reliable than older ammo. Task forces and battle groups sent to conflict zones are equipped with the most modern ammo in the inventory. Older stock nearing the end of its shelf life is used at training and its operation is therefore not critical. I once tried using some 16 mm mini flares (Signal Kit Pyrotechnic Pistol) several years after the end of their projected shelf life and none fired.