What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The German Y fuze sectioned

F

Fuzeman

The German Y fuze sectioned
Y_fuze_pair.JPG

Off the top of my bonce,i think this was introduced mid-war as a booby trap fuze specifically designed to kill the BD staff?
Im almost sure the first one was defuzed(must have been faulty?)by one Major Hudson??

cheers

waff

Last edited:
not the best drawing hope it helps.:)

Scannen0059i.jpg

Cheers Mad B)

Fuze is to kill the EOD guy trying to defuze the bomb

THE FIRST y fuze was encountered in 1943 at Lords Cricket ground , it was in a 500sc bomb. this fuze was designed soley for one purpose , namely to kill the BD officer , sent to deal with it, the fuze looked like any other ECR fuze , but it had the extra letter Y on it , as fuzes did often have variations of markings it didnt worry the officer unduly, but there the similarity ended the fuze contained a seperate cicuit, powered by two 1.5 volt cells only , this circuit came into operation after the bomb came to a complete standstill, for this fuze had 3 mercury switches, set in different planes , therefore the slightest movement, and this mercury would detonate the bomb , it was later found out that this fuze had a broken solder joint which meant it was not armed. once found how it worked Major John Hudson , and a team of scientists discovered that the fuze could be immunised by freezing the batteries using liquid Oxygen, dripped over the fuze until a Hoar frost 12 inches in circumfrance , then and only then was it safe to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y fuze

Top of Y Fuze

Attachments

• Y fuze top 3 + 4 001.jpg
    Y fuze top 3 + 4 001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 175
Very nice Fuze steve, I bet that they are rare and expensive.

Hi Chris
Looking at my notes about 7 years ago a few turned up for sale all from the same batch and were priced at 60 , now if you saw one it would be nearer the 100 mark i guess?

When i have collected most of the German mine and igniters bits i think that i will start on these fuzes. I have got a 25c to start with, the out side is in good nick but the plastic top holding the trembler switches have been subjected to sever heat and have melted. How many of these are there to collect.

Hi Dave thats far too expensive last year i paid 4 each even then the guy made a profit.

Here are a couple of shots of my ELAZ 50B Y fuze.
Nice original paint on it with excellent head stamps.
it has the `flared-bottom` that i believe was only found on the 50Y?

Can anyone tell me how come the body seems to have a slight `bulge` all the way round the mid section?

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7003628.jpg
    S7003628.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 78
  • S7003629.jpg
    S7003629.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 74
  • S7003631.jpg
    S7003631.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 67
  • S7003635.jpg
    S7003635.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 57
  • S7003633.jpg
    S7003633.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Another shot from the bottom up to top. Ive also pictured it alongside a 17A so you can see the length difference compared to the standard ELAZ fuzes.

waff

Attachments

• S7003639.jpg
    S7003639.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 69
  • S7003630.jpg
    S7003630.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
Hi Paul
Cannot really see the bulge ?
the batch number is the same as my earlier ones

Last edited by a moderator: