What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The US M79 Launcher Turns 50 This Year!

inertordnance

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Hard to belive that the US '79 System has been around for half a century...........

"A NEW MILITARY SHOULDER WEAPON" - E.A. Harrison, AMERICAN RIFLEMAN, November 1960

40mm. Grenade Launcher XM79 fires a high-explosive shell up to about 400 meters. On October 19, 1960, the U.S. Army announced adoption of the 40mm Grenade, Launcher XM79. It fires a 6-oz. high-explosive shell at a muzzle velocity of about 250 f.p.s. and range up to 400 meters. Its designation will become M79 on formal standardization, which is expected to take place shortly. It was adopted to give the individual soldier a mortar-like capability between the distance the hand grenade can be be thrown and shortest range of the 81mm, mortar. The XM79 was the successful one of several competitive weapons developed for this requirement. It supplements the M14 rifle and M60 machine gun. The XM79 launcher was developed at Springfield Armory. The ammunition was developed under the supervision and with the help of Picatinny Arsenal, Crosley Corp., Division of Avco, at Connersville, Ind., was responsible for the loading and the complete round: Minneapolis-Honeywell, Minneapolis, Minn., for the fuze; Harvey Aluminum Co., Torrance, Calif., for the aluminum cartridge case; and the Chamberlain Corp., Waterloo, Iowa, for the fragmentation body.

The launcher is 28.6" long and barrel length is 14". Weight is 6 lbs. 11 ozs. loaded, 6 lbs. 2 ozs. empty. The weapon is thus quite short and handy. Its appearance is that of a short and fat hammerless single-barrel shotgun. The receiver or action body is of steel and heavily constricted. The hammerless action is automatically cocked on opening by a cocking lever under the barrel breech. Top lever and top safety are of shotgun form. The trigger guard is of winter type which can be swung away to either side on the release of a latch at its front end, so the launcher can be fired without taking off heavy gloves or mittens. Trigger pull is single stage, like that of a shotgun. The barrel is of aluminum alloy finished by anodizing. Rifling is 6 narrow lands .01" high, one turn in 48". Front sight is of conventional military pattern with guard wings like those of the carbine or M1 rifle. Rear sight is a large folding leaf, far up the barrel since high elevations are required. It is graduated to 400 meters and adjustable both for elevation and laterally. Quick elevation setting is done simply by pressing in the spring catches at ends of the elevation slide, and sliding it to the setting desired. Fine elevation setting is by screw and clicks, and similarly for lateral or 'windage' setting. The leaf is The XM79 is the first Army weapon with an all-aluminum barrel. Aluminum could be used because of the low velocity and low pressure at which the cartridge is fired. Stock and fore-end are black walnut. The stock is very straight, even slightly concave on top, partly to get the recoil in line with the buttplate and partly to make it easier to fire with high sight elevation. A rubber recoil pad is fitted. The piece points easily and naturally. It is also carried easily with sling. The whole design is very simple and strong. Operating parts, latches, and buttons offer large surfaces to the firer's fingers and work with great positiveness.

The 40mm cartridge is 3.9" long and weighs 9 oz. The caliber of 40 mm. is 1.575". There are only 365 milligrams (5.6 grs.) of propellant. This very small propelling charge and low density of loading caused difficulty in obtaining satisfactory uniformity of velocity, which was solved in an unusual way. The propelling charge is held in a cavity in the case head which has several holes through its walls. It confines the powder gases and forces them to pass out through the holes, controlling the burning. The shell fuze is a percussion type which initiates the burst on striking. As with all fuzes in our Services, great care is taken in the design to make it bore-safe (proof against premature functioning in the gun.) The fuze is armed after 30 yds. of flight.The launcher is fired from the usual rifling firing positions. It might be thought that the comparatively heavy projectile would the recoil unbearable. However, this is not so because of the low velocity. Computation shows the energy of free recoil to be about 21.5 ft.-lbs. or only slightly greater than that of the Service rifle, and it has been found in extensive testing that recoil presents no material difficulty. This new weapon can reach targets which hitherto have been safe in cover beyond hand grenade range. Parapets, shell holes, and concealment within a limited area are not protection against it. It can, as a striking example, even be used against an enemy around the corner of a wall, by firing against the ground or a wall beyond or in a house or bunker by firing straight into a window. The XM79 launcher is in pilot line production at Springfield Armory and the ammunition at Crosely Avco and Picatinny Arsenal. Distribution to troops will begin soon.

Attachments

• XM79.jpg
    XM79.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 22
  • XM792.jpg
    XM792.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 27
Out of curiosity, I checked through my US 40x46MM Collection to see what the earliest manufacture round that I currently have is. It is an XM387E2 Proof Round Manufactured September 1963.

Does anyone else have some early manufacture US 40X46MM Ammunition Variation(s) to post?

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

Attachments

• XM387E2 002.jpg
    XM387E2 002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 35
  • XM387E2 006.jpg
    XM387E2 006.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 37
Frank,

Considering our shared interest in all things 40mm, a celebration is probably in order. If I lived a bit closer to Ohio, I'd buy you a beer or three. And that goes for Grog too.

At minimum, on October 19, I'll step out on the front porch and launch a few practice rounds from the trusty TRW M79 to mark the day. Or mark a tree if my aim is good.

Rick

Hello Rick,

Sounds good, if you ever make it over this way stop by! Grog is also just "a few clicks" over the state line from me.

Thanks and stay safe,

Frank

I'm always on the hunt for early 40x46mm rounds and cases and they are very hard to find. I find that interesting that examples from the first 5 or 6 years of the development of this round are so scarce.

If you look at rare small arms cartridges like very early .30-06 or .303 variations, there seem to be ample examples of early dates and experimentals in many collections. But the earliest types of the 40x46mm seem to have really slipped through the cracks.

My earliest is a fired case, lightly headstamped: "40MM XM118 HA E1". Unfortunately, it isn't dated but is unique in the form of the domed propellant cup and angular vent holes, much like the high velocity 40x53mm M169 cases. It's quite different than the normal M118 case with the flat top propellant cup and horizontal vent holes as seen in the first two photos. The other two cases are unfinished XM118E1 and XM118E2 cases, dated 3-60 and 4-61.

The earliest loaded round is a practice type with an odd light green anodized ogive. The headstamp is: "40MM XM118E1 HMV 1-2 12-59. Stencilling on the body is barely visible but seems to read: "PROJ 40MM PRAC, XM 38? LOT PA ????"

The other round in the third photo is also an XM118E1 case, dated 6-60. It is stencilled: "40MM INERT PROJ XM387 LOT PA-E 1-329 2-61"

Attachments

• PICT0755.jpg
    PICT0755.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • PICT0756.jpg
    PICT0756.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0753.jpg
    PICT0753.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23
I have this 7-61 dated 40mm round. It's the eariest I've seen, aside from your's Ord. No markings other than the case, but looks to be an M407. The projectile is still crimped, the ogive is removable. No internals unfortunately, just shell, projectile and ogive.

Attachments

• DSC00107.jpg
    DSC00107.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 28