What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The War The Infantry Knew 1914-1919

2pounder

Premium Member
The book is by Captain J C Dunn and I have just finished it. I would not class it as one of my favourites so appologies for putting it here. BUT it is what I would call a must read book if you have any interest however small in British troops in WWI. It is in effect a dairy by officers of their time in the war in Europe with the infantry. Not an easy read but very enlightening as to what went on, lots of maps and village and farm names in France and some pictures. The casualties are just mumbers noted at the end of the day or period in the trench, there is loads of marching noted and comments on our artillery firing shorts, snipers. There are no detailed descriptions of the horrors as in some of the books by privates who fought, just comments which in some ways is more chilling. The death of colleagues is stated quite unemotionaly when it must have been shocking. There is mention of men collecting shell caps (fuzes) even from German blinds with fatal consequenses. Recommend it for a long read on winter evenings or on the sun lounger.

I read it a few years ago and consider it good enough to want to keep it, more as a reference for examples of the kind of situations that my relatives who fought in that war must have seen. A sober reminder if ever one were needed.