What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These came in post today

These came in the post from Germany (thanks David). The first is a WW1 German 77mm shell, and the second I think is a German WW1 90mm shrapnel shell with part of the Dopp Z/c91 fuze for it. Both were dug on the Somme and the 77mm I will leave unrestored as I like it the way it is. the other I will do a full restoration and de-rustification. These are the first German WW1 projectiles that I have owned, so I am as excited as a 2 peckered goat on his wedding day...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 449.jpg
    Picture 449.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 80
Two Peckered Goat!!

That made me laugh mate!! Nice couple of battlefield souvenirs there too mate. Once youve done the restoration on that one round post some pix, would be nice to see finnished job. Regards, Tim.

no restore

Hi Tim, thanks for the nice comments, but i've since decided not to restore either as they just have history written all over them. I have decided to leave them both in as dug condition, not out of laziness but I just like 'em the way they are...Best...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 450.jpg
    Picture 450.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 13
No trouble with the Postal Service then Dano? How much did postage cost for those two?

John

rust away

Well, changed my mind and after about 30 minutes of removing rust scale with hammer and chisel here is where I am, may stop here or may press forward. And John no trouble with postage. I don't know what it cost as there was no money amount printed on package, just barcodes and such.....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 451.jpg
    Picture 451.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 27
Dano,

if you aint going to restore, i hope you will at least stop the rot. Nice bits of kit.

Andy

Hey Andy, Now I figure to go all the way on the 90mm as the scale chipped off nicely. Next it's the wheel, then some afed paind. I'll probably coat the 77 with some sort of clear coat, but the way I figure it it would take about 375 years for the 77 to rust away even if left as is. The 90 scales popped off nicely and I think it'll restore real good. It is so damn hard to get heavier artillery projectiles over here I feel pretty lucky. I have a lot of trade deals in transit so I will have some labor to do...Dano

Thanks Green, I've never been able to get big WW1 German projectiles before here in the U.S. and this package came from Germany and brother it weighed out! I am pleased...Dano

Nice work done dano

Realy nice done dano after removing the rust there are looking great and in your trench there will be looking awesome what you can try this i always do i put this wire brush wheel in the hand drilling machine you only have to be a little bit carefull on the cooper driving bands of the round !
But with this even the markings and stamps will be coming out angain !!

Great Dano

wbr David

Dear Dano

what i often do is after cleaning the grenades and you dont have in mind to paint them you can preserved them with honey bee wax its getting a nice finish on the outside !!

wbr David

Hello

as you can see in attachment, I guess pattern 1891 schrapnell

Attachments

• 226c.JPG
    226c.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 14
  • 226c_.JPG
    226c_.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Dscf7629 (Medium).jpg
    Dscf7629 (Medium).jpg