What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three Lancs all together at same event.

Hi Kev,Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to keep us updated and for posting the pics,living over this side of the country we heard nothing of the trials and tribulations of the Canadian lanc except form people such as yourself,
Again many thanks,
Regards,
Don,

Hi Don, thanks for that, I must say though the link provided in post 17, together with the BBMF site provide much of the information on the Lancasters. The Canadian Pilot said that when they do return to Canada they will be taking a different route from that they took on arrival. First and foremost to avoid the Icelandic Volcano, and second because its much later in the season and there is a greater risk of fog.
Back to flying this weekend and fingers crossed I may see them again, although the fly pasts are brief, they are well worth taking the trouble to see if anyone gets a chance. It must have been quite something during the war. The guide aboard the Queen Mary lorry at East Kirkby was saying that when the bombers set off they would circle around the airfields to gain height, merlins groaning under the weight of the bombs. Just 8 miles away from East Kirkby is Conningsby, and their aircraft would be doing the same, similar in the direction of Spilsby again approx 8 miles away and you begin to get a picture of what many people of the time describe as a sky full of Lancasters. Then once they had all grouped up and gained the height off they went and all fell silent...........thoughts then went to .........how many will return?

.......another thing not to forget is the ground crew at the airfields, conditions in winter were extreme, freezing north winds in winter and the aircraft still had to be maintained for ops. The guide told us that two groundcrew died at East Kirkby due to the cold during the war, that may give an indication of conditions, the exact circumstances remain unknown but it wasnt just the aircrew who suffered.

regards Kev

Latest........new date for the cancelled 3 lancaster event. Tickets now valid for new date Sunday 14th September!!
Of course getting a date for the event is one thing, now we need no more gremlins and the weather to stay kind......fingers crossed all round.
Great work by all involved, East Kirkby Heritage Centre, members of Vera the Canadian crew, and last but by no means least BBMF.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/latest-news/Replacement-3-Lancaster-event-date.htm

regards Kev

more photos of the two Lancasters, this time from the 1940's weekend at Ludborough Steam railway...

regards Kev

P9070875.jpgP9070876.jpgP9070878.jpgP9070879.jpg

From the fly pasts at East Kirkby, Sunday 7 September.

Tom.

Attachments

• Lancs_6.JPG
    Lancs_6.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Lancs_5.JPG
    Lancs_5.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Lancs_4.JPG
    Lancs_4.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Lancs_3.jpg
    Lancs_3.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Lancs_2.JPG
    Lancs_2.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Lancs_1.JPG
    Lancs_1.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 14
Well, today was finally THE DAY!!! ................. and boy, was it worth the wait.
I managed to shake hands with 'Johnny' Johnson, the last British Dambuster, and see THREE LANCASTERS in the same place at the same time!!!

Pictures do little justice to the experience, but here are a few 'snapshots' I took, I hope you like them.

regards Kev

1 east kirkby 3 lancs.jpg2 east kirkby 3 lancs.jpg

Yesterday, saw the pair of them flying with three Spitfires at the 'Goodwood Revival' (did about five circuits). Fitting finale to an excellent day.

TimG

Hi Kev,Many thanks for posting pics,tremendous,3 Lancs together,that must have been an incredible sight and sound,Thanks must go to all involved in bringing us this fantastic sight,especially the ground/servicing crews,and the Canadian Lancaster for their endevours to bring their Lanc to the UK and so make it possible for 3 Lancs to be seen together
Kind Regards,
Don,

Hi Kev,Many thanks for posting pics,tremendous,3 Lancs together,that must have been an incredible sight and sound,Thanks must go to all involved in bringing us this fantastic sight,especially the ground/servicing crews,and the Canadian Lancaster for their endevours to bring their Lanc to the UK and so make it possible for 3 Lancs to be seen together
Kind Regards,
Don,

Don, couldn't agree more, tremendous effort by everyone involved. The tour of the two Lancasters has been a great success so far, they have traveled far and wide over the UK and beyond so as many people as possible have had the opportunity to see them.
Believe me the 3 Lancaster event was amazing, a sight I will remember for the rest of my life. Everywhere they have gone the reception has been fantastic, and overall people are understanding of delays or cancellations, it goes with the territory - when dealing with aircraft of this age they will suffer problems from time to time. Again credit to the ground crew for the fantastic work carried out to keep these flying, a lot of hours put in without a doubt.

here are a series of photos/snapshots, which if you flick through them give an idea of one of the flypasts.
I'm sure there will be better photographs posted by others on the net, but it may give a little feel to the event.

........here is the same scene captured by someone else on video posted on youtube...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pelOzAsZ0 so you dont have to flick through the pics (though it is fun to make them fly backwards!!)

regards Kev

P9140944.jpgP9140945.jpgP9140946.jpgP9140947.jpgP9140948.jpgP9140949.jpg

Last edited:
As the Lancs turned in for a final pass toward the crowd there were gasps all round as they broke formation and passed either side of the airfield............a truely spectacular moment that was stunning to witness - it took everyone by suprise!! (including me, as I was lining up for one more three Lanc shot, so excuse the quickly taken snap!!)

I am sure someone must have captured this moment with 'Just Jane' in the foreground, it was a much talked about moment after the event.

Kev

P9140954 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Kev,for pure nostalgia how can you beat that,what a fantastic sight all three together,what a fitting tribute to all involved especially those involved at East Kirkby,
12 Merlins on song,pure magic,
Again,many thanks Kev,
Regards,
Don,

I was at Collingham country show today and was lucky enough once again to see both Lancasters make a flypast en route to Southport and part of the final weekends events before Vera finally returns to Canada. I must say its been a privilage to witness these events and I cannot thank all those who made this happen enough. The turnout to see these was yet again tremendous, people really do make an effort to see these old ladies in flight.
Tomorrow late afternoon, the two Lancasters are due to fly over Derwent dam - it was here that the famous 617 Sqn trained for the Dams raid and will be one of the last events for people to see these. Other events held there in the past where the BBMF lancaster has flown over have been very busy - tomorrow I dont think you will be able to move - so if you are lucky enough to be going, get there early!!!

I was able to get a reasonable (for me) picture of Vera today as she flew past, I thought I would share it with you, together with a couple of snap-shots of the pair of them.

Kev

P9200980 - Copy.JPGP9200977.jpgP9200981.jpg

Thanks again Kev,I hope Vera and the crew have a safe journey home,3 Lancs together,when will we be able to see that again,many thanks to all concerned for making it possible for us to witness a very rare and unforgettable sight,and thanks again for posting your pics,
Kind reagards,
Don,
ps,I still have the small diecast Lancaster we bought from the East Kirkby airfield shop many years ago,

Well today marked the end of 'Vera's' visit to the UK............and a fitting end it was at RAF Conningsby today. Both Lancasters, 2 Spitfires and 2 Hurricanes conducted a flypast prior to a flypast Lincoln Cathedral as a final 'Farewell'. I cannot say Thank you enough to everyone who was involved in the organisation of bringing these two fantastic old ladies together and indeed all those that gave their time to make it possible. I for one have fond memories.
So for one final time, here are some snapshots taken from RAF Conningsby today.................enjoy!!!

Kev

Vera farewell 1.JPGVera farewell 2.JPGVera farewell 3.JPG

Thanks Kev,the formation flypast is a fitting tribute to all concerned in bringing all those superb aircraft together for everyone to enjoy,and by what I have seen a lot of people enjoyed the spectacle,I doubt if there would have been anywhere near the interest if it were a flypast by more modern aircraft,When I was in the RAF,(Airfield Construction Branch)there were Beverleys,(fantastic aircraft,built like a brick out house but still graceful)Pigs,Twin pins,Beavers,AOP 9s,Hastings,I am afraid in my opinion a jet cannot hold a candle to a big piston aircraft,they just dont have charisma,the Lancs have charisma by the bucketfull,
Thanks again Kev,
Kind Regards,
Don,

The formation flypast was amazing, pictures dont do it justice, the sound was amazing. Prior to take-off the two Lancasters, two Spitfires and two Hurricanes lined up beside the runway and cranked up the engines, its something you had to witness to appreciate. Many people were literally in tears at Vera's departure, I spoke to one man who had tears in his eyes and he told me his wife couldn't bear to go as she would find it too upsetting.........I guess that sums up just how much this has meant to people. My only suprise is that they didnt do more to raise money for the visit. I have been to a few events and there wasnt a donation bucket in sight, every single event has massively increased volumes of traffic, vehicles parked at the side of the road etc. I am sure many would have donated, even just a pound to see the spectacle, which would have gone to preserve these aircraft. I know there were trailers at the 'events' and many people bought from these, and indeed online donations ......... though perhaps it was more about allowing people, of whatever background to be able to witness the coming together of these magnificent aircraft.

re; Beverley; I remember the Beverley at the museum of transport, at Beverley. The museum is no more but the aircraft has a new home. Here is a link
http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/html/259/259.htm

regards Kev

Thanks Kev,pure magic,long may they continue to fly and give us so much pleasure,
Regards,
Don,