What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three New Shells (French 105mm, Austrian 80mm & US 75mm) Added to the Collection

MikeS0000

All arrived in the last two days..., won't post the wife's commentary. :wink:

However, I'm thrilled. L to R is the 75mm. American Can Company 75mm. Presentation piece. Posted elsewhere, but I was the last of four generations to work at the plant before it was bought out and closed down in the 70's. Even have some photos of my Grandfather sitting out front of the factory during this timeframe.

Next is a French, 1918 dated 105L Mle1913 Schneider. What a Beast!

Finally an Austrian 8cm. Casing for the 8 cm Feldkanone M 05, possibly others? It may be considered Trench Art, as it has a very neatly engraved "MT - GRAPPA / JUNE 26, 1918" on the side. A neat site that goes along with this one... http://www.worldwar1.com/itafront/ortnew.htm

Not a dent or a ding in the lot, but may need some light cleaning.

Thanks for looking!
- Mike

PS - It's my cheap^%@ camera that makes them look crooked.

Attachments

• Shell2.jpg
    Shell2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Shell1.jpg
    Shell1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
Mike,

As I remember, the American Can Co. commemorative is a combinational round. They made a lot of them after WWI because of all the left over components in the U.S.. I will have to check what I have, but I think the combination is a Russian 76.2mm case (u.S. Production) with the plaque on it, and a 75 mm projo. The U.S. made a bazillion 76.2mm projos and cases for the Russians, and then we adopted the French 75, so there was a lot of production of both.

The one thing about the combination, is that they needed to neck the 76.2mm case down slightly to hold the 75mm projo, so the 76.2mm Russian projo might not fit in it now.

Last edited:
Thanks Hazord! That would be most interesting if it is the 76.2 case. Reminiscent of all the Remington and New England Westinghouse rifles left over from the Czar's Contract after the Bolsheviks took over.

Russian case would be 76.2x385R (x90mm rim)
French/American would be 75x350R (x87mm rim)
So easy to be sure, i think