What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tipe of FONT used for the stencils of British ww2 ammo boxes

StefanoItaly

Hi everyone
I'm trying to restore some British ammo boxes (B166 & B167).
Which FONT have been used in ww2 period for the stencils ?
It seems they used at least two types of fonts. One with plain letters and one with some spaces in the letters.
Thank you in advance for your help

Attachments

• Schermata 2023-08-10 alle 00.05.27.png
    Schermata 2023-08-10 alle 00.05.27.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Schermata 2023-08-09 alle 22.15.54.png
    Schermata 2023-08-09 alle 22.15.54.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The printing on the box that does not have gaps is not a stencil print. It is a factory print using an offset or typeset process.

Stencilled lettering has gaps as there needs to be strips left in the stencil to hold the central elements of the letters. Some factories use stencils for short run items but post war used printing technology where the speed advantage outweighed the setup cost.

Ammunition depots and inspectorates used stencils made on a rotary stencil cutting machine. In the past thirty odd years, inspection teams have also used paint pen to mark up boxes.

WW1 stencils often have serif fonts with "curly bits" on the ends of the letters. It would seem this changed sometime in the late 20s when san serif was adopted.

A free stencil font I found and downloaded online is FLAMANTE STENCIL BOLD. The gaps aren't the same on every letter as originals but I have used it with my Cricut Joy to make stencils.

A free stencil font I found and downloaded online is FLAMANTE STENCIL BOLD. The gaps aren't the same on every letter as originals but I have used it with my Cricut Joy to make stencils.
I tried this font and it looks good but it seems to be missing the numbers, do you have the same issue. And if not, where did you get it from?

I tried this font and it looks good but it seems to be missing the numbers, do you have the same issue. And if not, where did you get it from?
Yes Flamante doesn't have numbers. There is DIN Schablonierschrift which has numbers but I found they are too narrow so have to alter them.