What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To clean or not...

westyork123

Guys, question for you.
Any advice would be great.

Until this year my main collection was trench art which I never clean, now I have quite a large collection of cartridge cases. The issue is do I clean the cartridge cases?

Im aware if they are whole rounds or have stencils on not to clean them, however what about plain cases?

Hints tips and advice please?

Cheers Matt!

Last edited by a moderator:
A pic of your collection would be good for give an opinion.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sadly my main collection still in Yorkshire and im in living in Devizes untill August, however the cases range from 1 pounder up and are in good order with little denting, no stencils, good mouths and clear bases.

Sorry about the pics.....
Cheers for your time Grenademan

I only clean my cases with a hands soap, I never polish them, no matter if they have stencils or not. The patina that they can have due to their age is part of their history, but it is only my opinion.

in the eye of the beholder

You bought it, you collected it, and it would be up to you what to do with it. I always consider "the coolness factor". What I mean some relics are just far too cool as found to mess with, others esp if grooves etc..rusted over then a cleaning/resto may be the ticket. I think with cases the general consensus seems to be a light cleaning with no polishing to retain best value, but as I mentioned earlier, it is ultimately in your hands and your decision. If you are going to keep it forever and want it to shine like a diamond in a goat's hind end on the shelf then by all means polish it....Dano

Cheers for the advice all. I expected this was the case but wanted to be sure!

Broke my heart today had to polish up some trench art.......

Again, cheers

Matt

I tend to leave cases as they are unless there is serious corrosion. If there are green bits on them (happens sometimes when people stand cases on damp floors or concrete) then they get cleaned in that area to prevent further damage.
Dave.

I wouldn't clean case's unless it is unavoidable,for reason already mentioned above,the photo's are of two 7.62mm nato rounds,the left one uncleaned and right cleaned,as you can see the cleaned one has lost it factory finish(Radway green for both examples) including the staining of the shoulder/neck while being formed.
So if possible keep them orginal is my moto.
Tony

Attachments

• P7050007.JPG
    P7050007.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P7050006.JPG
    P7050006.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 12