What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays finds

Tuney

Collected all these yesterday some very nice stuff including a British 5.5 inch shell

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8444.jpeg
    IMG_8444.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8447.jpeg
    IMG_8447.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8437.jpeg
    IMG_8437.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8456.jpeg
    IMG_8456.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 84
The Nordenfelt projectiles/round could be problematic unless you've got the relevant F.A.C. as they are considered A.P. - Sec 5 ammunition.

TimG

The Nordenfelt projectiles/round could be problematic unless you've got the relevant F.A.C. as they are considered A.P. - Sec 5 ammunition.

TimG
Never heard anything like that before . These are just projectiles and deactivated cases completely ffe how can they be a problem ? I have shit loads of AP shells I’ve even had the police and bomb squad at my house checking my collection it and everything was fine these are not live so where are you coming from ?.

He's coming from a position of knowledge and you'd do well to heed it. Jacketed armour piercing projectiles are Section 5. Solid armour piercing projectiles are not. Nothing to do with propellant or explosive, just the bullet itself.

The relevant legislation is the UK Firearms Act 1968, Section 5(1A)(e)

(e) any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;

That BM-8 is a really neat find. I am still looking for one for my own collection.

The relevant legislation is the UK Firearms Act 1968, Section 5(1A)(e)

(e) any ammunition for military use which consists in or incorporates a missile designed, on account of its having a jacket and hard-core, to penetrate armour plating, armour screening or body armour;
There is a certain calibre size that this legislation applies, i think, under 20mm cannon, not sure.

There is a certain calibre size that this legislation applies, i think, under 20mm cannon, not sure.
There is no calibre size stated in the legislation, nor in the CPS or Police guidance.

ive also been told by one of the biggest shell dealers in the uk that the only armour piercing rounds you will get done for are 12.7mm and below not the bigger Victorian calibres . That is why the police and bomb squad didn’t say anything about my 2 Nordenfelt rounds on the cases I had . They just made sure they were FFE

I'm sure the legislation was written because of concerns about the threat to security forces from small arms calibre AP. But there is no calibre limit in the legislation.

The amendment was introduced due to concerns from the police regarding criminal use of A.P. - something to the best of my knowledge has never materialised. The wording was very carefully crafted on the advice, I believe of Peter Labbett and/or Freddie Mead. The key word is "jacketed" which means the amendment essentially just covers S.A.A. (there are exceptions!) this makes sense as small arms are criminals weapons of choice.

Firearms Licencing Officers in general don't know much about ammunition types, possibly with the exception of hunting ammunition. Military - legislation is not in their remit.

Remember - if it all goes wrong - you and you only will be 'gripping the rail' flawed advice maybe be mitigation, not a defence.

TimG

So if you have a 2 or 6 pounder AP round etc its illegal.
AP Rounds with a driving band are not subject to sec 5 as are classed as artillery jacketed AP projectiles are but don't quote me on that