What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays great find at newark

paul the grenade

Had a good morning at the Newark militaria show with Spudgun.
saw lots of overpriced stuff but found this gem tucked away in a glass cabinet. a slightly rust mills 36m dated 1966 GE on the base plug and 1965 on the centre piece. the body is marked TA & S and the lever is marked HT & S
I got it fot a good price 50.
Lovely stuff.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• 66 mils 1.jpg
    66 mils 1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 66 mills 2.jpg
    66 mills 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 66 mills 3.jpg
    66 mills 3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 66 mills 4.jpg
    66 mills 4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
There is a Thomas Glover & Co on Dave Sampsons website that has just the 3 red crosses on the top segments, rest being brown shellac. Its a 1966 too. I would certainly think about stopping the rot, i would probably do it up as well. Nice find.

Andy

Mills to go

Nice No36 Paul and nice price too. I agree with Andy, do the rust treatment and shellac it. Just my opinion but i think that is as far as I would go. Again Paul, nice score....Dano

Last edited:
Paul. It's a World Cup Mills. Anything '66 is very collectable.

John :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi Paul,

certainly like to see the finished results, its an especially rare gren as ime sure you are well aware.

Well done for finding it.

Andy

1960s No.36

I cant make up my mind yet.
What was the colour scheme for 60's mills? was it just a red band round the top?
Cheers, Paul.

A 1965 TA&S No.36 in untarnished livery; lever is marked HT&S. Just a red filling band spray-applied around the top segments, body is copal varnished. I need to re-anodise the face of the aluminium filler screw, but otherwise it's all original.

Tom.

Last edited:
GE and HT&S

Since TA&S (Thomas Adshead & Sons Ltd) were iron founders based in Dudley, I'd have expected other components to be produced by local suppliers. That means GE could be George Edmonds Ltd, Birmingham and HT&S could be Herbert Terry & Sons Ltd, Birmingham.

Someone else might have better information...

Tom.

Cheers for the info Tom.
Do you think they would have painted over the filler screw in red or left it plain alloy?
Cheers, Paul.

Filler screw sealing

Paul,

The filler screw would have been cemented in place, and a cement covering applied over the whole screw face and surround. The remains of this can be seen on the first photo I posted - a different shade and texture of red compared to the filling band.

In days of yore the thread-locking cement would have been Pettman cement, which was coloured red by Venetian Red pigment.

Tom.

Paul!
You need wash this grenade in oxalic acid!!
Oxalic acid is very best way for restore things in paint if that thing rust!
- 300gr oxalic acid on 3 litre (hot bath - 60C). After every 1 hour need wash by plastic brush. After washing a model will be in original colour!
My applause! Great model in very good conditionl!
Jhonni

The restoration is almost finished.
Can anyone tell me what the wax is that was used to seal the striker hole on top of the grenade?
Is it just beeswax or a special mixture?
Cheers, Paul.

Oxy acid

Oxalic acid is one of your milder acids, less abrasive of the lot. No worries about over corroding and as mentioned earlier is most kind to the rust bug. I use it to clean glass also. Good choice...Dano