What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays latest acquisitions (1)

exat808

Ordnance approved
I have just acquired this Sidewinder drill missile as a training aid. Seen in the back of the truck with other goodies awaiting unloading and then in its new home. 2012-08-17 13.26.44.jpg2012-08-17 13.34.40.jpg

Looks good ,good to see you finally got them

Thanks Allan,
The Sidewinder was the only one of todays acquisitions that we could lift manually, and that took 4 of us. The Maverick and MK83 needed mechanical help to move them.

I have one complete and most parts for a second (missing the proximity fuze). My GCUs are dummies. I think Lou has one almost complete.

I have one complete and most parts for a second (missing the proximity fuze). My GCUs are dummies. I think Lou has one almost complete.

Ours has an active GCU however the Thallium source in the seeker unit has been removed.

One of the better missle's out there. Didn't do to well in SEA. But then, of course, she was built to hit incoming Soviet bombers. Back in SEA it would go after lakes, ponds, rivers, the sun and anything else that would reflect the sun right after launch. Now she is an "All aspect ratio" missle. Didn't the sidewinder use a "continuos rod" for kills?

One of the better missle's out there. Didn't do to well in SEA. But then, of course, she was built to hit incoming Soviet bombers. Back in SEA it would go after lakes, ponds, rivers, the sun and anything else that would reflect the sun right after launch. Now she is an "All aspect ratio" missle. Didn't the sidewinder use a "continuos rod" for kills?

I believe only the models D, G, and H had the continuous rod style warhead. Other types utilised a blast fragmentation variant.