What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torpedo part? What is it?

Depotman

Premium Member
This item was dredged up in UK waters recently, and I've read '18" Mk VIII' stamped on the piece, amongst others. My limited knowledge points to an 18-inch Mk VIII torpedo; can the experts confirm or correct my assumption and identify what it is? Many thanks, Depotman.

Brass copper guage (4).jpgBrass copper guage (5).jpgBrass copper guage (7).jpgBrass copper guage (8).jpg

Hi Trevor,

The 18" Mk VIII torpedoes were designated for aircraft, whereas the larger 21" Mk VIII were used by submarines and surface launched ships.

IMHO the part appears to be the external Hydrostatic piston and pendulum depth control cover - the black oval shape would be the part that "flexes" (diaphragm) and relays the external water pressure to the internal pendulum mechanism. The mechanism controls the torpedo set depth (pitch angle) via mechanical linkage /servo motor to the depth planes located on the tail section.

But then I could be completely wrong (as my Wife often states!!!)
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Hi Trevor,

The 18" Mk VIII torpedoes were designated for aircraft, whereas the larger 21" Mk VIII were used by submarines and surface launched ships.

IMHO the part appears to be the external Hydrostatic piston and pendulum depth control cover - the black oval shape would be the part that "flexes" and relays the external water pressure to the internal pendulum mechanism. The mechanism controls the torpedo set depth and performed by mechanical linkage to the depth planes located on the tail section.

But then I could be completely wrong.............. LOL
Cheers
Drew

Thanks Drew - having seen many of your other comments on various torpedo parts, I'll take it as read! Unless someone comes up with another suggestion!

Trevor

Hi Drew, I have another reported find which looks very similar to the first one, but with a set of six holes in place of the five previously. Here's part of the text from the report:
"This object measures 270 mm long by 210 mm wide. The wharf reported impressed markings on the surface of the object that read MK V111 274 18" 229 291. There are small holes visible around the outer edge of the object which may indicate that it was riveted to another piece at one stage. There is a small broken plate on the back that looks to be made of brass".
I've also attached three pictures.
Any thoughts/comments? Depotman
Tarmac_0893.JPGCapture.JPGTarmac_0893 (1).JPG

Good Evening Trevor,

Yes definitely "twins", perhaps not identical but twins none the less! LOL

The minor differences could be due to different manufacturers or different MOD design variations - but still same function as previously posted above.
Cheers
Drew

Good Evening Trevor,

Yes definitely "twins", perhaps not identical but twins none the less! LOL

The minor differences could be due to different manufacturers or different MOD design variations - but still same function as previously posted above.
Cheers
Drew

Many thanks again Drew, is it common for this part to survive (or do they just breed underwater?!). Depotman

Far more common that this Mk1 version - noticed the the large extensive "ribbed" diaphragm section................................:tongue:

Attachments

• Mk1TRilobrite.JPG
    Mk1TRilobrite.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 34
Far more common that this Mk1 version - noticed the the large extensive "ribbed" diaphragm section................................:tongue:

Probably a much less efficient depth control system than the later Mks! - Depotman