What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

totally not ordnance related

satan18

I have been very buisy what with one thing or another,but what has moved on well is the restoration of my 1969 Capri GT.

185 hours welding and prefabricating has seen the body shell almost completed and going into the preperation stages.

She is now 99.9% rust free and a very factory stock body shell.

Attachments

• gold capri 382.jpg
    gold capri 382.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 38
  • gold capri 350.jpg
    gold capri 350.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 31
  • gold capri 438.jpg
    gold capri 438.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Gold capri 021.jpg
    Gold capri 021.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 30
Nice job there and well done it brings back some good memories seeing you do that as I have done one or two myself in the past and even raced them I do love the Capri, are you putting its original engine back,
Andy

Another impressive work, my friend, and another evidence of your great skill.
I wonder how you manage to get all these challenges (wife, children, making money, collection & restauration) in a proper row; congrats on this performance!

Nice work.

There is a 1978 Capri sitting in a drive way not far from me that has been there as long as I can remember. I have considered seeing if they want to part with it.

Hi Phil,
Nice to see you back on, the resto looks great always been a VW fan myself but go to love the old capri have some good memories of tail happy fun in a three litre years ago. keep us posted please,
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Andy

Thanks mate,as we speak i have the 1600 crossflow in bits and have already done an unleaded head so i am keeping it as Uncle Henry
Intended.

She is going to be very stock which i think people tend to like now days as just imagine a 24 valve cozy
chucked in ooooh nope 1600 it is.

Best phil

Hi weasel

Good to be active again,and getting down to posting some goodies.

will be a pleasure to post the growing capri as she is getting closer all the time.
It is booked in to the ford meet at Battlebridge in sepember so that gives me a real deadline.

Best phil

Thanks Falcon,

Cant see a Capri rust in peace so give em a knock and see what they say,who knows

let us know

best phil

Thanks Peter my friend.

It is a big balancing act to keep all happy and i do sometimes get it wrong but now i am
on a positive note with everything coming together.

In time to meet Bocn members at Beltring and generally have a good laugh.

best phil

Hi Paul,

You are quite right about the bonnet Or Hood for our US friends as it was registered on the 1st August 1969,which meens its build date could have been June or July.

The first capri rolled out on the 1st march 1969 G reg and mine is an H reg.

Well spotted

Best phil

I know the one I saw would likely be an expensive project. I have read that they are almost always full of rust, so would require alot of welding on the body shell. I am not trained to do that myself. I still think it might be worth having a look.

I know the one I saw would likely be an expensive project. I have read that they are almost always full of rust, so would require alot of welding on the body shell. I am not trained to do that myself. I still think it might be worth having a look.

You can teach yourself to weld mate, it's not that hard. Plus doing it yourself will save an absolute fortune, and you dont need to rush. Welding kits come dirt cheap and you don't need to worry about cocking someone elses baby up, as it would be your car anyway.

We have the welding kit at work, but the welder there doesn't like letting anyone else use it.

I thought that any welding on cars had to be done by someone who was qualified in order for it to be allowed to be used on the road. I may be wrong here.

We have the welding kit at work, but the welder there doesn't like letting anyone else use it.

I thought that any welding on cars had to be done by someone who was qualified in order for it to be allowed to be used on the road. I may be wrong here.

As far as I am aware, anyone can carry out the welding, as long as it passes the MOT at the end. Like any work you do on your car, you don't have to be qualified, but the car needs to be road legal. Would be a different story working on someone elses car though, as you would need insurance in case you cock it up dangerously, and no one would insure you if you weren't a qualified welder.

Defo worth looking into. You can get welding kits for around 80. Ideal for doing a single car project or similar.

Just a thought. What you're probably refering to is when you build a car from scratch, or from a kit. If that's the case, then the vehicle has to go through very strict safety tests to completely check the build for safety. There are all sorts of rules for this. It's because the car, as it would be an unknown type, has to be proved that it would be safe for use on the road, but if your restoring ANY known car (any car that is recognised) the design has already had these tests done for the model whilst in prototype stage, so all you need is an MOT.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to go and knock on the door sometime. The car has been there for at least the last 15 years, so I'm probably not the first one to do this.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to go and knock on the door sometime. The car has been there for at least the last 15 years, so I'm probably not the first one to do this.

I used to walk past a quiet road near a park when I was about 15-16. There was an old Capri parked on the drive for years. Eventually, someone decided to restore it on the drive....and not only that.....made it completely BAD ASS! Gloss black, exposed grills, raised front and flames down the doors! I hate chaved up motors, but I think it looks quite cool on older ones like this.

If you don't knock, you will never know.

Good luck my friend

I decided to go for it and knock on the door today. I asked the little old Polish woman who answered if she was interested in getting rid of the car, she told me "not not yet". So I guess that's it for the moment.

That is probably the reason why it is still there, as I'm sure the scrap men have had their eye on it before now.