What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transportation box - 24 SD2's

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
First of all I would liketo start this thread by saying a big thankyou to Ben. I received this box from him yesterday and I am now able to share with you some photographs of an original SD2 transportation box.

There are some very nice labels on this one and it has clearly been used more than once. I dont know how often they were re-used, but I guess while they were serviceable they were used. (maybe someone can advise me on this point?)

I also found a impression in the box itself - though it isnt very clear the date is 1941 and there is also an eagle inspectors impression too (again not very clear) - if anyone can distinguish the manufacturer from the very vague picture I would love to know who it was. (I wont hold my breath on this one though!!)

Here are some general photographs of the box......

HPIM8681 (2).jpgHPIM8685 - Copy.jpgHPIM8688 - Copy.jpgHPIM8684 - Copy.jpg

Here are some close-up shots of the labels ..........

HPIM8677.jpgHPIM8658.jpgHPIM8654.jpgHPIM8655.jpg

Here is a close-up of the impression stamps in the box itself...

HPIM8695 - Copy.jpg

If anyone is able to inform me of the various labels used I would also be grateful - thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Kev

AWESOME!!
That's got to be one of the scarcest SD2 related things you can ever hope of finding.
Thanks for showing the pictures Kev.
Now all you need to do is find an M83 box.............
Dave.

AWESOME!!
That's got to be one of the scarcest SD2 related things you can ever hope of finding.
Thanks for showing the pictures Kev.
Now all you need to do is find an M83 box.............
Dave.

Thanks Dave,
Its one of the items I have known about, seen pictures of, but never handled 0r seen an original - until now. The SD2's in general are not the easiest things to track down, items accociated appear just as difficult to source. It is really wonderful to tick a box on the wish list !!!

as regards the M83's a couple of years ago, or so, I did see a metal drum for holding some 'wafers' - these were unpacked and loaded straight into the drop cannisters. Unfortunatley the item was in Hawaii, the price and shipping costs put me off at the time. Needless to say I have not seen one since and will probably never see another .....these things haunt collectors- I'm sure we all know the feeling of the 'ones that passed us by'.

I would be interested if anyone has seen these metal cannisters for sale - they look rather like a compact oil drum and held, I think '3 wafers' - each wafer consisting of 10 x M83's bound by wire.

regards Kev

Last edited: