What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trench art casemarks?

navyman

Hello all,
Here's hoping that I can find out about the headstamp on this trench art paperknife, (told it was found on the Somme Salient). Could it be that it's American for the unconverted P14/17. or a German Mauser round. The projectile looks wrong for the case? I hope Tony E will be able to help.
Headstamp reads; 2 16 S67
I believe that Framerville was the scene of fierce fighting in March 1918 and was re-taken by the 2ndAustralian Division on August 9th. The date on the blade is very faint but looks like 1915 or 1918.
Any help gratefully received,
Regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• Frameville 1.jpg
    Frameville 1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 45
It is a normal German 7.92mm ball round made at Spandau Arsenal (S) in February 1916 (2 16). The "67" represents the percentage of copper in the brass case alloy. The bullet could be correct but I would expect it to be CNCS (i.e. silver coloured)

I am not quite sur what you mean by "unconverted P.14/17"?

Regards
TonyE

Hello Tony,
Thank you for that info, I will now adjust the catalogue.
My confusion about the P14/17 rifle is because I believed that the first arrivals from Americans were chambered for the 30.06 (?), round, and then were rechambered for the .303 British? I've had differing opinions about this, perhaps you can give the "true" lowdown on this one?
Many thanks,
Guy.

Hi Guy

ALL Pattern '14 rifles were manufactured in .303 inch calibre as they were a direct contract from the British government. There were no 30-06 versions at that point. After Britain cancelled the outstanding P.'14 rifles and production ceased in mid 1917 the design was modified and manufacture of the US Model of 1917 began in .30-06.

In WW2 large numbers of the M1917 were purchased by Britain and more were later supplied under Lend Lease. These were of course .30-06 calibre and issued to the Home Guard. They remained in that calibre and none were ever converted to .303 inch.
Hope that sets things straight,

Regards
TonyE

The bullet is likely to be a French 8mm Lebel bullet, as these were solid bronze. I have seen these bullets used for trench art letter openers before, presumably as they can be more easily soldered.

The bullet is likely to be a French 8mm Lebel bullet, as these were solid bronze. I have seen these bullets used for trench art letter openers before, presumably as they can be more easily soldered.

Thanks both, I can compare the projectile with one from a Lebel I have. I think you are right as it would certainly be a lot easier to solder.
Tony, Thank you for the history, at last I can write a correct Lable for the P17 I have on display. I found a paper in the oil bottle space which listed all the previous owners postings, he was a prison guard.
Cheers,
Guy.