What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trip to Ypres (Ieper)

Having never had the opportunity to rummage through boxes like that I could only imagine. Craig, I think I would go up north, pick you up plus drive the 200 miles. I want to relocate to Belgium or somewhere in Europe...Dano

Hi Dano

I visited Albert many years ago and in the museum which was located in the old WW1 tunnels under the town, there was a mind blowing
artifacts shop.

But unfortunately the french were to touchy about us Brits taking
(war material)as they call it home through france,and temptation took over and we brought some realy neat stuff all inert of course,then the crunch:sad: me and my mate were arrested at french customs and detained for five hours whilst they confiscated all our goodies and told us how naughty we were.

They gave us some realy naff story about how we needed a certain licence to move such items through france.

A great few days though but i suspect our stuff wasnt destined for the melting pot.

Funny how the Belgians are a lot more relaxed to this form of Past time.

Always a pleasure phil

I visited the town of Ypres (Ieper) today. Been reading about some small souvenir shops selling WWI ordnance.

It was pretty disappointing. Only 3 stores sold ordnance.

One store was closed. Another sold WWI memorabilia at "normal collector" prices. The last one sold mostly relics and had some really cheap stuff, which I guess was ok (friendly shop owner BTW).

Wasn't really worth the 200 mile drive. If you plan to visit Belgium and hope to see some ordnance, visit a big fair instead of these shops.

Hi Mikey 25,
Next time you are in Ypres,drive a few miles to Hooge on Menin road,at Hooge there are two musuems,Sanctury wood/Hill 62 and Hooge Chapel museum both sell a good selection of ordnance ect.
Take a bit of time to chat to Claude at Sanctury wood,he has a lot more items out the back!!!!
Cheers
Tony

Hi Mikey 25,
Next time you are in Ypres,drive a few miles to Hooge on Menin road,at Hooge there are two musuems,Sanctury wood/Hill 62 and Hooge Chapel museum both sell a good selection of ordnance ect.
Take a bit of time to chat to Claude at Sanctury wood,he has a lot more items out the back!!!!
Cheers
Tony

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like another 200 mile drive coming up next week! :D

Hi Mikey,
Don't go on a Wednesday,nothing is open or happens in Belgium on a Wednesday!!!
Cheers
Tony

Hi Mikey,
Don't go on a Wednesday,nothing is open or happens in Belgium on a Wednesday!!!
Cheers
Tony

Euhm... Every store I can possibly think of is open on wednesdays.
:tinysmile_eyebrow_t:eek:oh:

And, on wednesdays all the kids have the afternoon off from school. The most busy day after saturday.. Perhaps you were thinking of a special occasion/national holiday that happend on a wednesday? :p

If you are visit the region of Ieper, you must visit the museum of Passchendaele. It's a very, very wonderful museum. Look first on her site and then decide !

http://www.passchendaele.be/eng/homeEN.html

Been planning to do that for a loooong time.. But there are some many museums here.

WWI in the north, WWII in the south.. So little time.

Going back on march 21

Going back in a few hours.. I'll be taking orders now.. Lol, no, not really. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent last weekend in Ypres with a group of 20 people from work, we spent a very interesting day at the Belgian EOD depot in the area, discussing the different ordnance they have and the different disposal methods they use.

We then did the obligatory battlefield tour for a day and finally scoured the shops looking at different ordnance.
There were some good examples for sale including a French 58T spigot mortar (6 finned example), a very nice Belgian 12cm shrapnel projo and Livens tubes and base plates, The prices seemed quite steep, but the sellers are open to offers, in some cases the prices they offered were less than half the posted price.
So if you plan on buying ordnance in Ypres, be prepared to haggle and you'll see the price drop rapidly!!

Pete

Back to Ypres again

I was back in Ypres this weekend and took a few more snaps of museums.

It was my first time at Hooge Crater, they had a nice selection of items on display and also lots for sale at very reasonable prices!
Apart from the items on display he has lots more out back.

PA250310.JPG

PA260323.JPG

PA260324.JPG

PA240277.JPG

I am in Ypres and have found the over the top tours shop in your pictures, where are the other two located? Need an answer as soon as possible

I am in Ypres and have found the over the top tours shop in your pictures, where are the other two located? Need an answer as soon as possible

Hi Sean,
Hooge Crater museum and shop and Sanctuary Wood museum and shop are a few miles out of Ypres on the road to Menin (well sign posted when you are close).
Richard

The shell hole is just past the Flanders fields museum on the left.
Neermarkt 6
The guy who runs it is called Patrik -0032472477554