What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troop chow

Not quite "troop chow"..This is "cadet chow",a few weeks ago army cadets were in the camp im working from at the mo,
They had some spare lunches and gave them to us,inside was a sausage roll with the best before date of 28 june 11 ,,now with a best before date like that i thought im not even going to try and eat it,god knows what dodgy preservatives it had..
anyway i took it home and put it the fridge,the other day i had the munchies and thought i would try it.
I DIDNT ...best before 28 june 11 my ar@e ....see pic

Attachments

• P1010352.jpg
    P1010352.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
Yes looks jummie just needs a few weeks more Spot :tinysmile_tongue_t:
Then its ready to eat my friend :bigsmile:

Had some tinned Dutch rations at Beltring and they were lovely!

Cheers,
Andy

anyone remember the british ratpacks with the tinned "cheese possessed" is that stuff still available ?

I tried MREs for a few days in 1991. At first it was a nice change but after a couple of days I began to dislike most of it being sweet-tasting. The Brit rat packs were blander and `bunged you up' so you didn't need a s**t for a few days but overall I think I preferred them. Late on in my time in Belize it rained heavily for a few days and we had a surprise visitor - an 8 feet (2.5 metre) long crocodile / alligator thing that set up home in the EWS (Emergency Water Supply) pond. It loved to eat 5 Lb lumps of spam and processed cheese but I never got closer than about 10 feet to it - they can move quickly when they feel like it.

anyone remember the british ratpacks with the tinned "cheese possessed" is that stuff still available ?

yep remember it well and the bacon grill, why were the sweets nearly always green ones?
Don't get the cheese or bacon grill anymore,the sweets are in individual packets now(still lots of green ones!) and most of the rations are made in N.Z., the tube of yeast extract is foul! most defo not marmite and even worse than veggimite!
The small bottle of tabasco can be fun by slipping it unknown into someones brew!(even better if you put it the tissue pack!!!).........

yep remember it well and the bacon grill, why were the sweets nearly always green ones?
Don't get the cheese or bacon grill anymore,the sweets are in individual packets now(still lots of green ones!) and most of the rations are made in N.Z., the tube of yeast extract is foul! most defo not marmite and even worse than veggimite!
The small bottle of tabasco can be fun by slipping it unknown into someones brew!(even better if you put it the tissue pack!!!).........

I forgot about the bacon grill. I still buy that from tesco from time to time. Lovely

We get regular ration finds in the boxes at work. I have a small collection of them among my shiny stuff. I havn't tried the Vegimite tubes yet but I'm dying too. The latest find was an unopened 300g pack of "Hot Chocolate Flavour Drink" Instructions: "Dissolve contents of this bag in 2.5 litres of hot water and stir briskly". That's an awful lot of hot chocolate so I just use a few spoonfuls at a time. Its yummy.
Someone found an unopened packet of Tescos own brand Fruit Short Cake biscuits. Even though they were still in date, he didn't try them :D

My own personal favorite was Biscuits AB or Fruit. I miss those :(

The brit ones may have been more basic but one of my enduring memories is a porridge we used to make using the ubiquitous oatmeal blocks crumbled into hot water and a tube of condensed milk. Seemed to thrive on this in the FI's 1982 - happy days.
Just in passing i must mention the toilet paper - greaseproof variety in the 70's and 80's - 3 sheets if I remember - 1 up 1 down and 1 across!!

Yep, I remember the Vietnam War C-Rats. Then I had aquired some LRRP rations (Not bad at all). Also had the very early MRE types of the modern day ones. Had some rations from the Canadians, not bad either. I have allot of the issued Food Cans in the under seat of the ejection pan. I had the ones from the Vietnam War era which were nothing short of fabuolus. The newer cans from ejection seat pans are even better, all oatmeal type cookies. One other, was a pack of the "Cold Weather" MRE's which naturally are high in callories. Another item I have is the "Ranger Power Bars". Which are great. Just FYI.

V40

Last edited:
:tinysmile_cry_t:Hey all,

I always thought MRE stood for: "Meal Rejected by Etheopians"
During basic training in the Dutch army I lived off tinned chickencurry and rice for two weeks, nothing but that sh.t .........., Still traumatized :tinysmile_cry_t:.

Best rats I ever had were Norwegian and french ones, latter being kinda "haute cuisine" ration wise and the Norwegian ones just being plain damn good food!

Spott, theres a big difference between 'best before' and 'use by' that rolls fine :) I have eaten 1940's tins before, not that good but eatable, just. WW2 fags ain't bad either in an emergancy lol

Just in passing i must mention the toilet paper - greaseproof variety in the 70's and 80's - 3 sheets if I remember - 1 up 1 down and 1 across!!

Wasn't it One up, One down and One to polish?

And if this wasn't enough, the cardboard ration pack would do the job too. Tear off one side of the box, fold it in half twice. Tear off the inner corner so that when you opened it up again you have a hole in the middle of the cardboard. Poke your finger through the hole **Edited for decency** and use the edge of the cardboad to clean the fingernail.

Last edited: