What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tube Percussion SA Cartridge Mark V

hangarman

Has anyone got a picture or drawing of a sectioned Tube Percussion SA Cartridge Mark V, (or any other mk) used on BL 5.5in Medium guns? I gather from a previous post that they are shortened .303 carts. Does any one know if they were just shortened .303 cases or were they specially made and just looked like a .303 case? Any help much appreciated, Cheers Gary

Attached is picture of a Tube Percussion Mark V. I think the reason for basing it on .303 case was purely economy. If you have the macchinery to draw the basic case, why not use it?

I have a sectioned drawing somewhere so will look it out.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Tube Perc. Mk 5.jpg
    Tube Perc. Mk 5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 49
With regard to the filling, my AT course notes do not give specifics but the general info would suggest that tubes would have a different filling to .303 in. SAA, because tubes have to fulfil a different purpose to SAA. The flash would have to be strong enough to pass along the vent axial and to ensure complete ignition of the cartridge igniter. The advantages of percussion tubes over electric are that they are simpler and stronger, whereas electric tubes are safer (the chance of a hangfire is reduced), allow a greater rapidity of fire and can be tested for continuity.

I am still looking for my drawing of this, but they are completely different to a normal .303 inch round. For a start, they have a copper ball that seals the tube and prevents any blow back from the main charge.

If I cannot find it I will post a picture of a similar tube.

Cheers
Tony

attached image of Tube Percussion S.A. Cartridge MkV

Attachments

• tube percussion mkV.jpg
    tube percussion mkV.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68
  • 1 tube.jpg
    1 tube.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 2 tube.jpg
    2 tube.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 3 tube.jpg
    3 tube.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 4 tube.jpg
    4 tube.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks a lot, that has saved me the trouble of looking for the drawing!

Cheers
Tony

Hangarman, sorry for taking over your question, but i also have a sort of 'tube percussion' round that i can't identify...I was told it was a tupe percussion, but not sure.

It's also shaped like the 303, but it has other markings, and no crimping dots on the side. It does have an internal structure as on the drawing from spotter.

Total lenght is 45,30mm (1.78 inch) and mouth diameter (measured externally) is 10,26mm (0.4 inch)

Anyone can identify it ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 42
Possibly a - Tube, Percussion, S.A. Cartridge Mk 1, 2, 2R, 3, 3A, 4 or 4A.

TimG

However, I've just noticed there is what appears to be a V on the headstamp that would make it a Mk5. It also appears to be the same length as the one posted by Tony.

Just engaged brain - the length qouted in "Notes on British Land Service Primers and Tubes" is quite clearly wrong.

Last edited:
Just engaged brain - the length qouted in "Notes on British Land Service Primers and Tubes" is quite clearly wrong.

Is it as simple as the 0.79 should read 1.79 ?

The next question is , does anyone have a spare for sale ?? if so please pm me.

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

I would think that to be the case. Does it actually have to be a Mk. V? The Mk II was a normal .303" case. The III and IV might have been also, I'll see if I've any other publications that might shed some light on the different types.

Tim

Hangarman, sorry for taking over your question, but i also have a sort of 'tube percussion' round that i can't identify...I was told it was a tupe percussion, but not sure.

It's also shaped like the 303, but it has other markings, and no crimping dots on the side. It does have an internal structure as on the drawing from spotter.

Total lenght is 45,30mm (1.78 inch) and mouth diameter (measured externally) is 10,26mm (0.4 inch)

Anyone can identify it ?

Definitely a Tube Percussion Mark V, as the "V" between the factory code and the date shows. As it is wartime production the headsatmp is a bit sparse, that is all.

Also, as it is pre-1944 the Mark number is in Roman numerals. I should add that the case for your example was made at ROF Blackpole, but it was probably loaded at Chorley or a similar filling plant.

.303 inch cases have been used for all sorts of igniters, detonators and tubes. here are a few examples.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Igniters.jpg
    Igniters.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: