What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tungsten carbide core

William49

Ordnance approved
Does anybody knows from which projectile is this core? The diameter is 38 mm and the length 128 mm.

Attachments

• HK 1.JPG
    HK 1.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 33
  • HK 2.JPG
    HK 2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 39
Does anybody knows from which projectile is this core? The diameter is 38 mm and the length 128 mm.

The dimensions are exactly the same as a 17 pounder APDS core. I've had over 20 of these cores over the years but have never seen them marked on the base in that way, the markings are usually in the indented part.

What's the weight? Should be about 1678g

Try some emery cloth to get the rust off it, it shouldn't damage the core. They are so hard that a regular hacksaw blade won't touch them.

Dave.

1  Shot 17pr APDS-T Mk 1 - 1.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_2464.jpg5  Carts 17pr SV APDS case bands - 1.jpgIMG_2465.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Dave,
thank you for your quick reply to my inquiry. At first I wasn't sure that is a core from a 17 pounder because I haven't found measurements of tungsten carbide cores in my British documents. But than I have found this thread:
BOCN - Identification- page 192-Tungsten carbide ap core - what is it?
My question: there are different measurements for the other 17 pr AP projectiles?