What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two projectile, identification help please...

Hi all,

Here are two recent additions to my collection. I would love it if anyone can explain markings on the larger shell and help identify the smaller.
The larger shell is a 3 pounder, the smaller is a mystery to me as it is smaller than a two pounder and has an 18mm threaded hole at the base possible for a tracer element?

The markings on the 3 pounder are:

B8
3Pr
FS
S (in a circle)

No markings on smaller shell.
Any information or help much appreciated. Kind Regards...

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
The Smaller one is

A French 37mm AP - solid shot type, Model 1931 for practice firing and would have had a tracer in the base. There would be markings between the bands if you can clean it a bit.

Fantastic info thanks...

Thanks for the info on the smaller shell. Do you think the green paint is original? Also, you say it is for test firing? How would that work?

More for target practice

About the green, I don't know enough about that period to be sure at all. But I am doubtful about it. The casing for this I think would be a 37x202 case dated or reprimed with a 1930s date.

Last edited: