What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Smokes, Back To Their Glory....

pzjgr

Here are a couple of smokes I had on my to do pile for a while now....they were both popped and in need of some TLC.

The older "flat top" yellow smoke was a nice M18 Yellow smoke, with most of the original paint and stencilling, but alas, because it was "popped" there was some paint loss, and a lot of it readt to flake away.

The newer style was also a yellow smoke, but the body had no paint left on it...

I rotary brushed both down to bare metal, then wiped them thoroughly with acetone to clean/degrease them. I figured there was no way I could duplicate the stencilling, until I remembered I had in my stash of stuff a couple of Japanese 1:1 scale model kits of grenades (they make highly detailed 1:1 kits since they can't own ANYTHING over there!) one of which was an M18 smoke, which had decals for the stencilling...

I found it, and there were decals for an M18, and for an AN-M8...so I decided to do one of each.

I painted the M18 with olive drab, the AN-M8 with SAC Bomber Green (probably not quite light enough, but I figured it would do), masked the tops, and painted them. Then I hit the bodies with Glosscote, as the decals were older, and fairly thick.

Honestly they were a real pain, I had to soak them in a lightly diluted white glue after soaking them off to help ensure no silvering, then hit them heavily with Micro-Sol once on, and had to work hard to keep them adhered properly until dry...there still is a little silvering on the lot number on the AN-M8.

Once dry, another shot of Glosscote, then a few mist coats of Dullcote. The original fuzes back on, and not too bad...at least they aren't bare anymore!
pencil.png

Attachments

• gren1.jpg
    gren1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 49
  • gren2.jpg
    gren2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
EXCELLENT resto work, necessary with most smokes as they get "cacked" when fired off... GREAT.....Dano