What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two unknown projectiles

cannonmn

The fuzeless projectile on left has diameter of 2.93 inches, fuze hole dia. of 1.65 in., and length of 6 1/8 in. No marks visible. It is cast with internal segments and has a separate compartment at the bottom, so maybe it was designed as a dual-purpose shell, for sharpnel or fragmentation. What is it please?

The item on right is more familar, a solid shot with many marks, British, certainly. Diameter 2.96 in., length 9 in. What gun(s) was this intended for? The marks on the base appear to be hand-chisled-why is that, are they production-line marks or did someone put on those marks later for some kind of identification?

Many photos are in this slideshow, for which the password "attack" must be entered.

[ame]http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums53/Two%20unk%20projectiles/?albumview=slideshow[/ame]

IMG_5350.jpg

Hello,
for your left projectile, the docs I found relate bigger models, 9 cm and 12 cm. Yours measure +/- 75 mm diameter. You should must look in the direction of Austro-Hungary artillery 1880, I think.

Attachments

• Austro-hongrois 1875.JPG
    Austro-hongrois 1875.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 71
Thanks, that's certainly very close to what I have. The only difference seems to be the threaded side-loading plug seen in the 9cm drawing and absent from mine. I suspect the various calibers take the same fuze. Now I only have to find one of the fuzes, and that won't be difficult at all, will it?

Possible 13 pounder ?

Whilst first world war ammo is not my thing I am thinking that the right hand projectile may be an early 13 pounder practice round?
Either way nice rounds for anyones collection and thank you for showing them to us.

pointed practice

It migtht be a bit long but it looks more like a seperate loading 12pr shot, could that be a N stamped in the side, the full markings should be on the base often poorly struck but look with a glass from different directions. 2pr

pointed one

Just looked at the slide show, should have done that first, its a 14pr, navy gun, suggest a search on 14pr in the search facility will give you more info. 2pr

Thanks, found the info on the 14 pr. naval gun. I'm surprised they consider it a "QF" gun given that most of them used separate-loading ammo. I guess since the base of the item is marked " 12 and 14 pr." there were other guns which could use this projectile. I'm still surprised the base marks appear to be hand-chisled!

12 or 14pr

QF is anything with a brass case then should be designated in documents as fixed or seperate. All sorts of 12pr guns again there has been many posts so try searching. I think because the shot are cast iron and it is hard to stamp a different method was used. 2pr

>the shot are cast iron

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that, I thought anything made in 1915 and apparently designed to pierce armor would be made of steel. I learn something every day.

I did search both 12 pr. and 14 pr. and got no hits, perhaps I need to change the search choices or something. I did find some info using Google on the web at large however.

For the projo on the left you might check on early Italian. I've seen some similar designs (75mm) that were left behind in Ethiopia.

12 or 14 pr

The shot you have with the yellow band is a practice one hence cast iron 'cos its cheap. usually there is a 'C' stamped somewhere and 'P'. I do not think a 12pr AP was ever made, the usual penetration shell was common pointed to explode inside lightly armoured vessels, if you needed more penetration you used a bigger gun or steamed away fast. 2pr