What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tynham village and Churchill field

Colonel Greg

The village of Tynham lies along a narrow road that runs from Corfe castle to Lulworth Camp or leave the A352 to Wareham where it meets the B3071 direction West Lulworth. Follow this road to where there is a junction to Lulworth Castle follow this past the castle, direction Tynham and Church Knowle ,as the road rise on the right will be seen a small rough lay by . This was once the explosive end of The Cat and the Fiddle firing range . Park here and cross the road to the view. Below you is Churchill Field once the home of target tanks of the same name ,now too valuable as spares the wrecks were salvaged for bits and piecec. Today it houses more modern wrecks. One of them however is quite old , this is the one being used by a Buzzard as a peaceful resting place.Perhaps one of the membership could identify it.It is not advisable to enter this field bearing in mind it is a range and unexploded ordinance may well be present. Tynham Village a little further on, is a wonderful place . Its inhabitants were asked during WW2 to move out so that the VIllage and its nearby Warbarrow bay could be used as a practice location for the invasion of Europe. The residents were promised that at war's end they might return. Sadly this never happened and still today it is an active military training area.It can be visited , look on Google for the weekends it is open also for history and pictures. The houses are now all open to the sky and only the little village church and school are intact. I have trained in this location several times arriving by landing craft in the stunning Warbarrow Bay, one of the most beautiful in England.The surrounding countryside is untouched since the 1940s. Few places remain like this today.

Attachments

• buzzard1.jpg
    buzzard1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 53
  • buzzard4.jpg
    buzzard4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 55
  • buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
Lulworth range tanks

It's good to see someone else has pics of the tanks on the Lulworth ranges. Tynham has been one of my favorite places all my life, every few years i'm drawn back there! I hope you enjoy my pics of tanks.

Attachments

• DSCF1751-2.jpg
    DSCF1751-2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF1755-2.jpg
    DSCF1755-2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF6544-2.jpg
    DSCF6544-2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF6545-2.jpg
    DSCF6545-2.jpg