What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 91 MT nose fuze cutaway

Mrfuze

Premium Member
Hi,
I just finished the Type 91 mech. time artillery nose fuze, used by the Japs during WW II.
Enjoy
Mrfuze, USA :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Attachments

• Type 91 w. ring,  cut, 1, Jap.jpg
    Type 91 w. ring, cut, 1, Jap.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 127
Hello Erhard,

Simply spectacular! You outperformed yourself with this one. THANKS for showing it to us.

Best regards,

Randall

A really superb job once again. I really appreciate seeing you fantastic work. Keep them comming.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Hi Erhard,

Another superb example - great job!

So they are made with chromed plated brass!
Do you why only this type was done this way and not other Japanese Navy fuses?
{Seems that these fuses were mostly used on the 12.7cm & 14cm projectiles which also accommodated the type 88 impact, which was just regular brass construction - perhaps higher reliability in corrosive/sea conditions - I noticed that the internal clock mechanism is also constructed with chrome plated brass parts. The type 88 impact is probably of a simplier design and more robust to exposure of the elements?}

(At one stage I though that it may have been stainless steel...yes expensive $$$.......don't laugh all the Japanese Navy machined made swords are made with stainless steel!)

Are you aware of any variations of this type, once again constructed with chrome plated brass? [I have an example of other variation, has a more pronounced ballistic top]

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

BTW - Using your cut-away I have successfully manage to "dismantle" my one after all these years!!!

Great job Mrfuze, i always look foward to seeing your work, thanks for showing.

Darren

Type 91 MT nose fuze

Hi Drew,
There is the Type 91 MT nose fuze, as you have seen as a cutaway with the gear ring for automatic setting device, than there is the Type 91 without gear ring, than the type "0" for 12 & 20cm projos (outer appearance is the same as the Type 91, except the base assembly looks different) and there is the type 98 MT fuze with a longer cap and gear ring.
Mrfuze, USA

Great job Mr Fuze, fantastic quality as usual.
Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Hi Drew,
There is the Type 91 MT nose fuze, as you have seen as a cutaway with the gear ring for automatic setting device, than there is the Type 91 without gear ring, than the type "0" for 12 & 20cm projos (outer appearance is the same as the Type 91, except the base assembly looks different) and there is the type 98 MT fuze with a longer cap and gear ring.
Mrfuze, USA

Hi Erhard,

The four variations that you have kindly outlined above seem to align up to a vague 1945 reference stating four variations but all denoted under the "Type 91" banner:

{REMARKS -The model number of the projectile and that of the gun have not been determined. There are three known modifications of the Model 91 fuze giving four fuzes called Model 91, each varying only slightly from the other}

From your description, my second variation could be a Type 98, as it has the longer cap, gear ring, but slight difference in the base construction.

{I'll post some photos when I can "steal" my camera back from my Wife!}

I'll research the Type 98 as I currently do not have any photos of this type for IDing

I may start a new thread on this and hence not to "distract" the audience from your superb cutaway Type 91 example!
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• JapType-91-MT.jpg
    JapType-91-MT.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 26