What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. 37MM M16 S.C. 1942 Lot 41 23138-4 / apparently reloaded M74 AP-T

John R Blair Jr

(1) M74 AP-T.JPG(2) M74 AP-T.JPG(3) M74 AP-T.JPG
Ladies & Gents:

U.S.37MMM16 S.C. 1942 Lot 41 23138-4 / with a tightly firmly and apparently reloaded, fired, shot, previously used, projectile = M74 AP-T that has 12 lands and grooves; all driving band marks obliterated (a 6 maybe) into an empty case with a very lightly struck primer = WCOP 6-22579-8(3?)9 M23A1 1942.
Found estate sale Georgetown Mississippi 8 2014
Expound
Semper fi
John
P.S. Sandra and I had a lovely 14 days in London lately but, will be BACK soon; the IWM was closed for 1914 WWI renovations;) Made it to the RAF museum and, several regimental museums as well.

Most likely a convenience round. Someone who owned a WWI projo conveniently stuck in a WWII case, combining two random components that aren't normally found together. Not reloaded! If it was reloaded, it would have an unfired projectile crimped in the case. There were occasions when this shorter projectile was used with this case, but not very often.

Assume the projectile is live and dangerous until you can get the projo out of the case and check to see if it is loaded. It will be base fuzed, with a brass fuze if loaded, and open on the base if it has been inerted.

Last edited:
I agree with HAZ. Looks like either a Mk I or Mk II U.S. WW I 37mm. Definitely not an M74 or M80 by the profile. HAZ's cautions are more than well founded. Cheers, Bruce.

Certainly a MKll range pickup, be careful with it. These are either HE or Black powder loaded. They were the HE projectile in this case until the M63
was adopted, but with a case date of 42, likely just stuck into it by somebody.

GOOD NEWS RUST.JPG

WeLL Alls well that ends well. ;0 It would appear that RUST was the culprit for stuck in too tight, DuH!
A picture is worthSomething! Right?
Oh! I did have a teeny tiny bit Ole EOD training with Uncle Sams Misguided Children back N D day; not offering that as an excuse for stupidity though.
Semper fi
John

Semper Fi to you as well, John. What Coast were you on? I survived, I mean, spent most of my time at Camp Swampy or New River, (with Floats, Oki and Fuji thrown in), '83-'00. Cheers, Bruce.

Ah! The SUCK...........

Paris Island, Aniston AL, Washington D.C., HMX1, Camp David, USMC Rifle team Presidents 100 Camp Perry Ohio 79, 77-81; Had a GREAT time in the suck;)
Sir Cpl. JR Blair JR Sir (John R. Blair Jr.)

Ah, during the Carter years. You have my condolences. The pay got MUCH better right after he was deposed. I joined in '80 and had to wait three years in Oki for a seat for EOD school. Good times. Cheers, Bruce.

Yep! A married MARINE with child making $1800 a YEAR (one thousand eight hundred dollars) but, the state of Mississippi did apply my 4 years active honorable discharge toward my retirement; Soooooo…. Like they say here on BOCN “All’s well that ends well”. Have some FUN EOD stories for later MAYBE!?!?!

Cool. Can also use the private message area here if ya want. Cheers, Bruce.