What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Civil War Ketchum 1Lb Grenade

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
This U.S. civil war 1 LB Ketchum grenade is currently listed on GunBroker for sale ( Listing # 551883686). The seller claims it is 100% original. The buy it now price is $3,999.00.
That is a lot of money, but considering the incredible rarity of this item, it is probably not out of line. Enjoy the pictures of this wonderful piece!

P.S. He also has a very nice 3 Lb with a reproduction tail for $1,950.00 and a 5 Lb body and plunger only for $1,900.00.
1Lb Ketchum original 1.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 2.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 3.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 4.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 5.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 6.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 7.jpg1Lb Ketchum original 8.jpg

Here is the 3 Lb version with the reproduction tail boom and fins for $1,950.00. It is a very nice non-dug body and plunger.
3Lb Ketchum repo tail 1.jpg3Lb Ketchum repo tail 2.jpg3Lb Ketchum repo tail 3.jpg3Lb Ketchum repo tail 4.jpg3Lb Ketchum repo tail 5.jpg

Last edited:
I had a repro of one of these, very well done and in a repro shipping box.
I have seen a few of the bodies for sale at a very well respected Military shop in Gettysburg, they also had a couple of original "tails" when I was last there in Dec last year.
The problem with these is that for the most part, they are not hard to fake, if a company had the equipment, as the body is cast and not always well cast!

Still a very nice piece!!

Dean O
Canada

I had a repro of one of these, very well done and in a repro shipping box.
I have seen a few of the bodies for sale at a very well respected Military shop in Gettysburg, they also had a couple of original "tails" when I was last there in Dec last year.
The problem with these is that for the most part, they are not hard to fake, if a company had the equipment, as the body is cast and not always well cast!

Still a very nice piece!!

Dean O
Canada
You are correct, they would be fairly easy to fake for someone with metal and wood working skills. A possible $3,000.00 - $4,000.00 pay day would provide plenty of incentive.........

The British #12 grenade is a perfect example. They are very hard to find so a well made forgery can pass inspection as most collectors have never seen a real one to compare it to.

Pat

I posted a thread on the Ketchum recently . They would be possible to fake & there are probably a few out there BUT if you've ever seen a genuine one , no contest . It would be impossible to reproduce the exact forge welding process from the 1860's used to join the two halves . Also , the insert for the plunger is made of lead alloy & that would be incredibly difficult to reproduce convincingly . As Pat has indicated , if in doubt check with someone who has a real one !
mvc-217s.jpg