What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. demolition charge question

On the web I have located a rectangular cardboard (with metal ends) U.S. 1 pound dynamite charge (inert), It is identical to a 1 pound dynamite charge I have in a FM on Vietnam demolitions. the only difference is the one I am looking at has U.S. Army corps of engineers printed on it. I was wondering if this was a seperate faction as I realize the corps of engineers were responsible for building of dams and parks and such here in the U.S. Would this preclude this piece from being a war item???? Dano

So, is there a photo?

Also, typically dynamite cartridges do not have metal ends, they come in wax paper or cardboard tubes. TNT blocks have metal ends and come in 1 pound rectangular blocks and other sizes. Typically TNT is not used for domestic blasting. It is too expensive and the velocity is too fast to be used for heaving rock and earth. Dynamite is used for mining, particularly in wet conditions, as it is fairly waterproof. The majority of commercial blasting and earthmoving is done with ammonium nitrate unless water is a problem. Ammonium nitrate doesn't work in water unless it is in the form of a water gel.

Don't buy unless you get a photo.

There have been a lot of fakes (sorry, reproductions) on these as well, with people scanning the originals, printing them on heavy stock and then artificially aging them. As with many pieces out there, if you don't know the item well, use significant care before purchasing.

It is indeed TNT, but the web will not permit me to reproduce pics. Little doubt it is real, one end was removed to inert it. Think it is 7" by about 1" and looks real good and comrs from a very reputible dealer. Defo metal end caps..Dano