What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. white phosphorous igniter - which type??

Sky dancer

Gentlemen,

Thanks for letting me join your forum, I hope you will excuse any newbie mistakes!

I'm researching a few things for a project of mine involving the 118th Tactical Reconnaisance Squadron of the 23rd Fighter Group, USAAF, which served in the China/Burma/India theatre in WW2.

They were initially equipped with P-40 fighters, but re-equipped with the legendary P-51 Mustang. One of their raids is depicted in the film "Empire of the Sun".

The 118th TRS used a drop tank made locally in India by the Hindustani Aircraft Factory, these were non-standard for the P-51, and when U.S. issue drop tanks became more readily available the Indian-made tanks were converted to carry napalm. Here's a photo of one about to be fitted to a P-51:
Fittingnapalmtanks-1.jpg

This photo was sent to be from a contact in the U.S. as a jpeg, I recently got a copy as a TIF file, which showed much better detail. The napalm tank has a normal filler cap fitted, so a M16 WP igniter is not fitted, but there is very clearly a bracket fitted to the side of the tank.

I suspect that this was for a M15 type WP igniter, but I'm not sure if the arming vanes would have sufficent clearance from the tank side, or get enough airflow.

A bit more research provided this shot of a 55 gal. oil drum modified by a B-24 bomber squadron in the CBI threatre as a napalm bomb:

55galNapalmbomb-phosphorusigniters.jpg

My question is this - what type of WP igniter is shown in the second photo? Could it fit the bracket of the P-51 napalm tank?

It doesn't have the vanes of the M15, I have heard that it may be a M13 or M14, but I can find very scant details of these and cannot find pictures of these igniters in their entirety.

Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone have a copy of a WW2 dated TM 3-400 cluster/chemical bombs tech. manual?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Michael

I took your photo and inverted it and then zoomed up on the left hand igniter
There are very small turning vains with the arming wire going thru them
Just as depicted in the diagram on the othere web site