What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK 4" No1 Mk2 Flare

crampyuk

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I'm doing a bit of research on the attached item, and my research so far points me in the direction that it is a UK 4" No1 Mk2 Flare... It has the remnants of a canvas retarding canopy and the anchor points reach about half way inside the casing.
Would you agree with my findings so far? Any other help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
Graham

Attachments

• 100_0611.jpg
    100_0611.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 112
Checkout OP 1665 Page 145 / 146. Hope you studies go OK

Attachments

• flare.jpg
    flare.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 27
  • flare2.jpg
    flare2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
UK Flare

Can this help you ?

Yoda

Attachments

• UK Flare 4 inch-01.JPG
    UK Flare 4 inch-01.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 43
  • UK Flare 4 inch-02.JPG
    UK Flare 4 inch-02.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 38
  • UK Flare 4 inch-03.JPG
    UK Flare 4 inch-03.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 30
  • UK Flare 4 inch-04.JPG
    UK Flare 4 inch-04.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 29
  • UK 4inch Flare.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 7
I believe its full designation was Flare Aircraft Recce No 1 Mk 2 Slow Falling. I inspected dozens of them in the early 1980s in storage in a UK ammo depot. I will try to find out more info for you when I get a chance.

Apologies crampyuk, the slow falling version was the No 2 Mk1, fitted with two 16 feet parachutes and was 33 inches long with a rate of descent of 200 - 400 feet per minute. My memory let me down but i found my course notes from 1979 so here goes:

Flare aircraft reconnaissance No 1 Mk 2 - released from aircraft for recce or target illumination purposes. Length 30 inches, diameter 5.5 inches (presumably the wider diameter), fitted with one 11 foot parachute and three static cords. The long static cord opens the container, the short one pulls out the parachute, the auxiliary causes the weak link connecting hook to break before the parachute is fully deployed. This prevents the hook fouling the tail of the aircraft. A percussion igniter ignites the candle. The candle burns for three minutes at 600,000 candle power. Rate of descent is 500 - 600 feet (150 m +) per minute.

I hope this helps. XT