What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK 5" DRILL Barrage Rocket Head

ron3350

This 5" Barrage Rocket DRILL head (sea-mattress) is from a converted Smoke or Incendiary head that are the same length .
It is 19.7" long in the manuals or 500mm. This length is from the base plug to the fuze nose cap.
My example is missing the fuze nose cap which was replaced to prevent exploding when the rocket hit the water.
Wish I could find rocket motors and fins for 3" and 5" rockets but I am in Australia.

The nose has a nice No 721 11 fuze in it. See my post from 21 January for more details.

Attachments

• Rocket a.jpeg
    Rocket a.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Rocket b.jpeg
    Rocket b.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Rocket c.jpeg
    Rocket c.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Rocket d.jpeg
    Rocket d.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Fuze 721 11.jpeg
    Fuze 721 11.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 29
Ron,

Nice warhead en beautiful No. 721 Mk II fuze. You not only missing the safety cap of the fuze, but also the spring safety clip.

Greetings - Antoon

Scarce in Australia? They're all scarce in the UK as well!
I have example of fuzes for 2" and 3" rockets, including PE proximity, but finding the actual rockets themselves is nigh on impossible.
Presumably whereas the fuzes looked on on a mantelpiece, the actual rockets were not as suitable!
Alan1