What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Firearms Law - new provisions come into force today

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I understand that amendments to the Firearms Act came into force today which make it an offence for persons with a conviction (3 months suspended or greater) to possess 'exempt', antique or air weapons. Supplying these weapons to a person with a conviction becomes an offence as possibly does employing them where these weapons are handled as a part of the job.

Deactivated weapons are not included I am told.

Does it include the armed forces?
I asked the same question but my informant didn't know. Hopefully the law that allows service men and women to have weapons trumps this particular amendment; lawyers will no doubt cash in on any uncertainties.

I asked him also if ammunition collecting was affected in any way and he thought not. Perhaps someone has access to the guidance that is usually issued by the Home Office.

A further question, would it include a conviction passed by a military court?

How on earth is a seller/dealer/trader expected to know if someone wishing to buy an `antique or air weapon` falls into this category.
If the `weapon` does not require the buyer to posses a relevant certificate/licence & the weapon does not require a licence/certificate then how will anyone know to ask the question?
Also what about anyone currently in possession?
Surely the offence committed would be more pertinent to this amendment if it involved firearms to start with?
Obviously if they wish to employ them then they can ask the applicant for full criminal record disclosure - how do they check this?
As I understand it only the person it relates to can ask for criminal history records.
I am intrigued as to what happened to bring about such an amendment?

Post - Bichard Enquiry, there is effectively no such thing as a 'spent conviction'. Additionally, a lot of public bodies are now treating convictions for traffic offences as criminal convictions.

TimG

mmm, more problems for the law abiding, if you sell, transfer, swap a gun not on a licence get the person aquiring it to sign a form to say they are do not have any conviction dis allowing possesion. I'm sure the local police firearms dept would help on this one. It appears from the wording that if you have a conviction you'd best get rid of anything naughty. As to why de acts aren't included amazes me as they are so dangerous, easily converted and look real and scary.

Of course this may be a law that appeals to many - but how is it enforced?
Will the police raid/search very dwelling that has a person that falls into the un-allowed category?
Will they check on their place of employment for these people & make them declare each change of workplace?
Online purchasing of unlicensed weapons will be a pain for the sellers & how do they check the buyers eligibility to own such items?
As ever a poorly thought out law that probably sounded great, so therefore was barely (if at all) discussed & passed as law/an amendment