What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK smoke grenade carrying bag/pouch.

AndyD

Has anyone heard of a British Army bag for carrying 5 smoke grenades?

Tan colour,dated 1966.

No pictures as camera still not working properly!

Cheers,
Andy

Pics now here!

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• SMOKE GREN BAG.jpg
    SMOKE GREN BAG.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SMOKE GREN BAG (2).jpg
    SMOKE GREN BAG (2).jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
  • SMOKE GREN BAG (3).jpg
    SMOKE GREN BAG (3).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 33
It has an SV number which suggests top me that its ammunition related so it could be for what you suggest.

Does anyone have the dimensions of a British smoke grenade so I can see if one would fit please?

Cheers,
Andy

Sorry I have come late to this thread. The bag is known as "Satchell, Grenade accessories" and is for the L2 HE grenade rather than for smoke grenades. The accessories in this case are the projection adapter (Adapter, Grenade, Projector, L1A1) and the cartridges (Cartridges, SA, 7.62mm, Rifle Grenade, L1A2) [1967 nomenclature].

The satchell was "designed to provide a convenient means by which a soldier may carry the adapters and cartridges without affecting his personal eficiency". Five satchells were part of the contents of the ammunition container (L1A1) (steel) holding 25 adapters each fitted with a cartridge in a plastic holder.

Thanks for that Bonnex! Much appreciated.

Next question,are these common to find,and how much do they normally sell for please?

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks for that Bonnex! Much appreciated.

Next question,are these common to find,and how much do they normally sell for please?

Cheers,
Andy

Sorry, I don't know. I can't imagine many are around nowadays, or that many collectors would recognise them anyway. The L2 rifle role ceased 1972/3 so the bags did not have much of a service life with the L2. The adapters could be used with the M26 (which was issued to British forces) and the XL21 Red Phos so the bags could have been used with these grenades but again not very far into the 1970s.

THANKS GUYS, this thread has answered a question I've had for a while... "what is this bag for?"

Mine is marked on the outside
SV 375 A
XBL
(not sure about the 'L')
9 /1970

I have an L1A1 adapter and with a M26 fitted it dose fit nicely in one of the pockets. Dose anyone know where I can find another 5 L1A1 adapters?