What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Tin Time Pencil Black.

Grenademan2005

What is the difference between the two Time Pencils? Why one has one hole and the other two?

Attachments

• Gr England Time Pencils.jpg
    Gr England Time Pencils.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3194.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 97
They all have two holes - those are 'peek holes' -
before pulling the saftey pin (metal thread) - to notice if by technical fault the striker is released. (If so then pulling the safety will cause the pencil to function immideatly in your hand).

Look new pics. I guess the bigger one is for inspection, but in case of two holes for what is the smaller one?

Attachments

• Gr England Time Pencils.jpg
    Gr England Time Pencils.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 37
  • Copia de IMG_3194.jpg
    Copia de IMG_3194.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 39
Switch No 10 Mark II

The second hole (smaller) was added after September 1943 to allow gauging of the percussion cap. At the same time the safety strip was moved slightly higher (1/16th inch) along the tube to improve safety since reports had suggested that the cap could be fired with the safety strip in-situ. The specification for the device was amended in November 1943 and the title changed to Switch, No 10 Mark II.

The switches shown are all of British manufacture. The US production for the SOE was also amended but I am not sure when.

Thats an answer Bonnex, thank you to you also Peter. I have this pencil totally unknown for me, it was in the same lot than the UK tin.

Attachments

• Pen Unk 1.jpg
    Pen Unk 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Pen Unk 2.jpg
    Pen Unk 2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Pen Unk 3.jpg
    Pen Unk 3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 61
1st Pattern Time Pencil

Thats an answer Bonnex, thank you to you also Peter. I have this pencil totally unknown for me, it was in the same lot than the UK tin.

Lucky you. It is the first pattern British Time Pencil as designed by Commander Langley in 1939. A large number of these were issued to the Auxiliary Units in the UK (original stay behind organisation).

Grenademan2005;[COLOR=black said:
169235]Why lucky me? Has that Commander Langley something to see with the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia?
[/COLOR]

They are less common than the No 10 switches which remained in service for many years.

Langley was Royal Navy. Normally I would have said nothing to do with the CIA but actually after the war he was a leading light in the Canadian Intelligence community and probably had a lot to do with the CIA. The base at Langley Virginia is named after Sam Langley, an American Air-service notable.

Ok, definitely for sell the complet tin and the MK1 pencil. Let me know if any of you is interested, please. Thank you.

Attachments

• TP1.jpg
    TP1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 14
  • TP2.jpg
    TP2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 14
  • TP3.jpg
    TP3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 22
  • TP4.jpg
    TP4.jpg