What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uknown German Wooden thing????

havoc

I know im prob driving you all mad with my identification items recently, but this is the last for a while, promice :tinysmile_fatgrin_t.

My friend found two of these a couple of years back in France. He was exploring some battered German bunkers and defences over there. All WW2.

Im 100% certain its German. Its made of a kind of wax coated wood.Resembles a fuze.Has 17cm L/B on base.
Ive looked though all my German reference books and cant find anything like it. Its approx 6cm across the base and approx the same tall.
Im thinking it may be some king of blank/plug.
Any ideas people? or has anyone come across these before, as ive never seen anything like it.

Cheers,

Clive.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 41
I would say it's an inert filler piece for 17cm base fuzed artillery training shell, partially or totally inert shell.
There are sectional drawings in manuals, I'll try to post a drawing tomorrow if anyone else is faster.

I would say it's an inert filler piece for 17cm base fuzed artillery training shell, partially or totally inert shell.
There are sectional drawings in manuals, I'll try to post a drawing tomorrow if anyone else is faster.

Cheers Tmine, that makes sence. Yes, please if you could post some details. That would be great.
Thanks mate,
Clive.

Doctor's information was more accurate. Here is the drawing.

Attachments

• 17 cm.jpg
    17 cm.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 59
Doctor's information was more accurate. Here is the drawing.

Tmine,

Thats superb mate.Cheers for that. Would you be able to PM over your email details so i could get a larger picture saved? If you could i would be most grateful.
So i would say there cant be many of these things around, as obviously the material they are made from would have vanished. Im well chuffed with it. I think it may well have to be a keeper.
Thanks again to you mate and to Doctor.

Best regards,
Clive.

Hi
here you can see the wooden part on top HE charge box of 24 cm Sprgr shell ww1

Attachments

• he0001.jpg
    he0001.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 32
  • he0002.jpg
    he0002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 36